Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
iPhone 3G Charging Issues -- Firewire, old Acccessories, etc. [Merged Thread]

Just wondering if with the new iPhone 3G model, If I can use my iPhone 1st Gen (Classic) Cradle, USB Syn Cable, and USB Power Adapter?

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Anyone spoken to Apple about when or if an adapter to fix our problem is coming out?

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Does anyone know if the belkin car charger / fm tuners will work with the new iPhone, would quite like one for long car journeys.

Stephen

Aloha Stephen,

I can confirm that the Belkin car kit with Clear Scan indeed works exceedingly well with the iPhone 3G - it both plays music and charges the iPhone. My wife picked one up from COSTCO a couple of weeks ago, and I got a chance to use it with the iPhone 3G today - it was flawless!!!

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Patrickool93

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Willowick, Ohio
That really makes me mad.. The iHome I dropped $100 on 2 years ago that has lasted me since my first nano now doesn't nothing. On my touch, I tolerated the fact that it didn't work properly as an alarm anymore, but when it won't play music from my iPhone, much less charge it, that's just an honest disappointment. :(

russellelly

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
I'm probably in a pretty small minority that's now going to need two car chargers. One for my iPod 3rd Gen which only charges by Firewire and another for my iPhone 3G that only charges by USB. Damn :(

steveapp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Aloha Stephen,

I can confirm that the Belkin car kit with Clear Scan indeed works exceedingly well with the iPhone 3G - it both plays music and charges the iPhone. My wife picked one up from COSTCO a couple of weeks ago, and I got a chance to use it with the iPhone 3G today - it was flawless!!!

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Thanks

Thats good news for me :) I think I will pick one up today :)

Thankfully, the cable that came with my iPod nano last November works with the 3g too, so I have a spare cable - might see if i can pick another up today too.

Thanks for the feedback

Stephen

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Is there a list of products that no longer charge?

I have the kensington liquidaux and it works with iPhone, will it work with iPhone 3G?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Thankfully, the iPhone 3G does charge whilst being used on the spectacular B & W Zeppelin speaker system.

Phew, you had me worried for a moment!

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
New Iphone 3G won't charge

So I ran the battery down to 10% last night before I came to bed and then plugged it into the wall. When I work up this morning it has the dead battery icon and does not seem to charge. I know it was plugged in for at least 5 hours. Does anyone know how to fix this? :confused:

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Were you using the supplied Apple adapter? Many third party adaptors no longer charge the 3G phone due to the firewire/USB issues. Most companies sent power over the firerwire cable to charge the iPods, etc. Now with the 3G the unit cannot accept that power and does not charge. All of my iHome dock products/speakers, my Car adaptors, and Pananonic stereo no longer charge my iPhone. They do however play just fine.

If you are using the Apple supplied pwoer adaptor, then I am not sure. Try resetting your phone, make sure you have a solid conection and verify the outlet.

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
I was using the Apple universal dock to charge it. Does that mean it can recognize the phone using iTunes but won't charge the phone?

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
After plugging the phone into iTunes and holding down the power button I got it to restart and now it is charging using the Universal dock. I think it may have just needed a reboot.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
"Charging is not supported with this accessory."

That is the message I get on my iPhone 3G when I plug it into:

Custom iPod interface in my Mazda Miata
Factory iPod interface in my Infiniti EX35
Factory iPod connector included with my Pioneer Elite A/V receiver
Bult-in iPod connector on my Logitech iPod speaker system

All of those devices use the 12 volt Firewire pin for charging.

Happily, I never used my previous iPhone with these devices for musical playback. I've got iPods for that. But I DID like the idea that I could plug my previous iPhone into either of the cars and recharge it while driving. (I never needed to do it, but I liked the idea of it just the same.)

Now, with the iPhone 3G's use of power-sucking 3G and GPS, the likelihood of needing a recharge mid-day has increased. So now I'll be sure to carry a USB-based cigarette lighter adapter and a short USB iPod cable in the car. A bit more of a pain, but it will get it recharged as necessary.

BTW, SOME home-based iPod Audio systems (speakers, receivers, etc.) use the 4 volt USB charging pin. Those will charge an iPhone 3G just fine.

IMHO, removing the 12v Firewire charging connection in the iPhone 3G was a major boneheaded move on Apple's part! I'm sure they had their reasons (like, to encourage the continued sale of regular iPods!) but it was still a stupid decision!

Mark

Edit: Apple covers the topic (briefly) in this KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476

It is also mentioned in the iPhone 3G user manual, page 34.

Sleepyyet

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Griffin's first generation car charger for the 3G iPhone works perfectly in the car. Coupled with an audio in line and pandora, I am really loving this phone. Pandora is the bomb!!!!!

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
that's horrible!
i can understand some of this issue with other devices but for the ipod hi-fi to not work...thats crap....

similar to my complaint about not including a dock insert. how much would that actually cost them!? i understand dropping the dock to lower price but the insert? crap....

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
i have an Alpine iDA-X001 iPod integration deck in my car. it works great with my ipods and my Gen1 iPhone. i was shocked to see it would not charge my Gen2 iPhone. i would get this lovely error message:

no_charge.jpg

happily, after reading this thread, i went and tried the deck's other interface which happens to be USB (the other cable is a special dedicated iPod cable) plugging the 3G into the USB (using my iPhone cable) i was able to get charging with full integration.

i donno if this helps solve anything. i am not sure what system the special iPod integration system uses, but the USB seems to work great.

akindy

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
iPhone 3G Charging Heavily Flawed

So as many of you are slowly noticing I'm sure, the new iPhone won't charge on the majority of devices that charged the old iPhone (i.e. Speaker Docks, car iPod hookups, etc.)

From what I can tell it won't accept the 12v firewire standard input of power through the dock connector... which is stupid because every single dock connected device EVER has accepted this level of power input. Also all auto hookups used this because a car's electrical system is already running at 12v so what's the point in converting?

The absolute worst part of this is they apparently CHOSE to do this. I talked to a support rep who checked and it's supposedly a software thing, it has the hardware to take 12v in but just simply won't allow it. The battery takes the same voltage as the old one and the connectors are all there on the 30-pin dock connector, they just programmed it so it WON'T take it. They didn't put this on the site and they barely told anyone from what I can tell, is this false advertising, can we sue? I don't know that I care to. But why would they pull such a Microsoft move?

John A

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Sue? Really?

What part do you think is false advertising? Did it say somewhere that the new iPhone would work with all legacy chargers and accessories?

Accessory makers were told a while back to stop using the firewire power layout, and to use the USB layout.

Now, did accessory makers choose to ignore this advice with their 1st gen iphone accessories so that the new generation would require new devices to be purchased by people? Could be!

mac17

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
yeh Im really pissed off about this! They finally remove the recessed headphone jack and put this instead so you have to buy an adapter... its good business but it sucks for the consumer. I just bought an ihome that I don't know will work can someone who has it confirm that it does? If its just a software thing maybe if they get enough complaints they'll fix this issue.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
So as many of you are slowly noticing I'm sure, the new iPhone won't charge on the majority of devices that charged the old iPhone (i.e. Speaker Docks, car iPod hookups, etc.)

From what I can tell it won't accept the 12v firewire standard input of power through the dock connector... which is stupid because every single dock connected device EVER has accepted this level of power input. Also all auto hookups used this because a car's electrical system is already running at 12v so what's the point in converting?

The absolute worst part of this is they apparently CHOSE to do this. I talked to a support rep who checked and it's supposedly a software thing, it has the hardware to take 12v in but just simply won't allow it. The battery takes the same voltage as the old one and the connectors are all there on the 30-pin dock connector, they just programmed it so it WON'T take it. They didn't put this on the site and they barely told anyone from what I can tell, is this false advertising, can we sue? I don't know that I care to. But why would they pull such a Microsoft move?

Where's the false advertising? Do they advertise that you can use the iPhone in these accessories? Do they advertise that it is 100% compatible with the iPod dock connector?
In fact, the site says "Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter" so they do tell you beforehand.

Also, the manual says that it can't be charged through FireWire chargers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.