Merge Mac OS X and Mac Applications

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dartzorichalcos, Mar 24, 2007.

1. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

The idea is to talk anything about that has to do with Mac OS X in one forum (not 2 seperate topics). Also, merge iPhone with iPod and AppleTV forum.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I think having the setup stay the same is good... Mac OS X doesn't always have to do with Mac Apps, and many problems are only about a certain Mac App, and certain problems are only about Mac OS X in general. Also, (even on the Apple website), iPhone has a separate tab, while iPod and :apple:TV are lumped together. The :apple:TV is essentially a port of your media (iPod + iTunes) to your TV. The iPhone is a whole new product line.

3. dartzorichalcos thread starter macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

An iPhone is just an iPod with a new design and phone and Mac OS X capabilities.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Which is a pretty seprate device.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

More like a phone that runs a mini verison of Mac OS X. It can also playback music and video files.

6. dartzorichalcos thread starter macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

That would be as part of Mac OS X capabilities.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree with merging them, the difference is only whether the application is 3rd party or built in, and any problem is likely to be affected by both, I'd merge them into a Mac Software forum.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No way. The iPhone is functionally different and when it's released, you'll see a flood of threads the like of which you rarely see around here. It deserves its own forum.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

things are set up pretty well as they are.

i don't see any need really to merge the OS X and Applications forums. they clearly have a difference. OS and Application issues can be very different and are varied.

10. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

That might make sense since it can be quite intimidating for a newbie to deal the plethora of forums on the first visit. But I've found the layout as it is now very logical and helps to separate the threads and also makes power searches easier.

We could conceivably do with a Movie/Entertainment forum in the Special Interests sub-forum, so it can be separate from the drivel present in Community Discussions. :)