Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
The iPad and Man Bags, Man Purses, etc.

Our non Y chromosome friends have a bag for their pad(s), but the men don’t. I wonder if the iPad will precipitate a shift in our society and make it acceptable for men to carry purses? I know it sounds flippant at first, but I think there is could happen.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
A bag to carry it? Yes
I do that with my MBP now

A man-purse?
I don't think so

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Or you could hold it like a book or notepad in the old days - with your hands.:rolleyes:

Exactly
I think we will know more about things like that after we have held it, used it and carried for a while

But I don't think a man-purse is in my future regardless

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You know what? I am a female of the species but I really prefer carrying bags such as my beloved Jack Spade messenger bag that I picked up at the men's department at Bloomies a few years ago to toting fussy, gimmicky, overdone feminine purses.

If the advent of the iPad spawns more "man purses," I'm all for that and undoubtedly will snap up a few!

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I have a "satchel" that I use for college. It fit my HP Mini perfectly, and I think the iPad should fill that gap quite nicely.

I've managed to ward off people calling it a man purse by wrapping a Indiana Jones-esque whip above it, that way it seems I'm carrying it out of necessity, and baddassery. Which I very well may be.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I've managed to ward off people calling it a man purse by wrapping a Indiana Jones-esque whip above it, that way it seems I'm carrying it out of necessity, and baddassery. Which I very well may be.

Baddassery, huh?
You don't actually SAY baddassery do you?
Cause I think it might take away from the aura you are creating
:)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Or shoulder bags, such thing as a man purse will not prevail.

Shoulder bags or messenger bags are effectively man purses, except no one calls them that to avoid freaking out men afraid of looking feminine by carrying a purse. :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Drawstring bags that go on your back, you know, like the ones guys have been using for years....

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I already use a man purse, aka a computer carrying bag. I don't carry my MBP in it much, but it's too damn useful and I'm addicted to it like I was my backpack in college. So I think the man purse revolution started as notebooks got more affordable and popular. The iPad will probably just make it bigger.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I already use a man purse, aka a computer carrying bag. I don't carry my MBP in it much, but it's too damn useful and I'm addicted to it like I was my backpack in college. So I think the man purse revolution started as notebooks got more affordable and popular. The iPad will probably just make it bigger.

what brand of bag do you have?

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
You man bag haters need to embrace your inner purse......oh boy that just sounds wrong now i've typed it!

I've been toting a man bag (as we call them here in the UK) around for years and think nothing of it. I have a selection as it happens although my main one is a rather lovely Finnish gas mask bag (surely that scores some man points right there).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.