Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZiggyCat

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Aside from this issue, have you actually had the not auto-connecting issue though?

I'm having this issue. Have to keep re-entering my wifi password. Joined the forum just to say so. Although it's been at least 20 minutes since it asked for my password now. It was asking what seemed like every five minutes. It hasn't asked since I switched the wifi on and off on the iPad. Buggy...?

EDIT: it just asked for my password again!

Using Verizon fios which my MacBook & iPhone have no issues with......

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
Have no problems connecting automatically to home, verizon mi-fi or connecting to my iris which I'm using right now.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Nope, didn't change a thing.

Right. Well I've played with it some more and have found that turning off the ipad fully and turning it back on, it connects instantly to my networking. But if i put it to sleep and wake it up 30 seconds later, it doesn't auto-connect to the wifi anymore.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Right. Well I've played with it some more and have found that turning off the ipad fully and turning it back on, it connects instantly to my networking. But if i put it to sleep and wake it up 30 seconds later, it doesn't auto-connect to the wifi anymore.

Are you near the access point? I'm a bit far away from mine, I'm not really sure if that's causing my signal to drop or what.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Are you near the access point? I'm a bit far away from mine, I'm not really sure if that's causing my signal to drop or what.

Yeah very close. That isn't the issue. Very strong signal strength, no issues watching full episodes of TV shows using ABC Player. It's ONLY when waking up from sleep that it won't auto-connect to my or any wifi networks. Just weird.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Oh, now that you bring that up...

I have had a few instances where my WiFi network wasn't detected, and I had to go into Settings and cycle WiFi for it to show my network again. Not sure if that means anything to you.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Oh, now that you bring that up...

I have had a few instances where my WiFi network wasn't detected, and I had to go into Settings and cycle WiFi for it to show my network again. Not sure if that means anything to you.

When that happens and you cycle wifi, does it auto connect to your network or do you have to touch your network to connect to it?

bakerster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
i had this problem on my 3gs...

i found the best fix is to go into the network by hitting the arrow icon to the right of it, then "forget this network".. then reconnect.

that worked for me at least..

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
i had this problem on my 3gs...

i found the best fix is to go into the network by hitting the arrow icon to the right of it, then "forget this network".. then reconnect.

that worked for me at least..

Oops... Probably should have said, I've done that too.

So when I said I didn't do anything, I lied; I've had to do this two or three times to get it to work.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
For those who say they have no problem, are you able to go into the wifi settings, turn wifi OFF and then ON, and have it auto-connect to your wifi network? This has never worked for me. I always have to select my network from the list.

Yup, it's just worked for me.

I tried it on my home network. I turned it off, then turned it on and it immediately rejoined the network. I did the same thing with the wireless tethering to my phone. I turned it off, turned it on and it rejoined right away without issue. The one it tries to rejoin to first is the one it was on when it was turned off.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
I just took off the password for now. And its workingn hopefully this gets resioved soon.

mozartwon

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
VIENNA Va.
This is starting to bug me! If I wake my iPad from sleep, it doesn't automatically connect to my Time Capsule anymore. I have to keep going into Settings, and then touching my protected network which is showing there, and then it connects. So obviously it remembers the network and WPA2 password, but it's not auto-connecting. It's really annoying!

Anyone else experiencing this? I've reset network settings, and even reset the whole device a couple of times, and it still misbehaves. :(

Same problem here. I have Verizon Fios, all my other devices connect and stay connected just fine.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Didn't read the whole thread but have you tried turning off pre-n and tried g?

iJason87

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
So after the restore I'm still having the issue. Guess I'll just have to wait for Apple to release an update and hope that fixes it.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
I've had no issues. I'm always connected immediately when my iPad wakes up. Are those of you having connection problems powering down your iPad completely or just letting it sleep?

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
While I have only had to enter my password once (at setup), I have had a few wifi problems.

I think only once was the iPad, the other few I am pretty sure my cheap router is to blame. The one time it was my iPad, I had to go into settings and renew the release.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Has anyone called AppleCare to see if there is a permanent solution? Is this mainly a problem with FIOS or any WiFi? For you all with FIOS, has anyone called Verizon? I had planned on getting the iPad today but I have FIOS so I may wait to hear about a resolution from either Apple or Verizon. My iPhone, MBP and iMac are all connected wirelessly through my FIOS and I've never had any problems coming out of sleep or turning off and on.

AWalkerStudios

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Austin
Tried the iPhone configuration tool this morning. Matched the settings that my macbook pro uses to connect to the network. Installed it on the iPad and no luck. It spins momentarily then loses the connection.

mozartwon

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
VIENNA Va.
This is starting to bug me! If I wake my iPad from sleep, it doesn't automatically connect to my Time Capsule anymore. I have to keep going into Settings, and then touching my protected network which is showing there, and then it connects. So obviously it remembers the network and WPA2 password, but it's not auto-connecting. It's really annoying!

Anyone else experiencing this? I've reset network settings, and even reset the whole device a couple of times, and it still misbehaves. :(

fix?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3304

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.