Merging Folders

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by steerpikegg, Jul 20, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Has anyone tried merging two folders yet?

I just tried a few tests and can't see anywhere an option to merge, just the old dialog saying do you want to replace.

2. thread starter macrumors member

Have to say I am completely stumped by this - have tried everything I can think of and still no option to merge folders :(

This is the one feature I was looking forward to....

3. macrumors newbie

Same here. Already installed Lion but I cannot merge any folder. That's strange.

4. thread starter macrumors member

I can't believe that this isn't working. I'm about 10 minutes away from throwing my Lion disk out the window.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Just got an answer for this on the Apple forum.

It seems like it will only work if you copy the folder (ie option drag or copy/paste). To me this is extremely unintuitive.

Why would it be that you don't have to copy to do a destructive operation, but do for a non-destructive?

6. macrumors 6502a

I asked someone who has a copy of Lion to try this, and he said it doesn't work...?! :confused:

I'd be very disappointed if this feature has been axed. It even lists it as a feature on their website.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

7. macrumors regular

I'm glad I searched for this thread. I just can't get this merge folders feature to work at all.
    It's infuriating, as I really need to merge some folders now!

8. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I'm curious as to how well that works out for you...seeing as there is no disk, unless you mean the hard drive...and if that is what you mean, I wouldn't get so worked up about merging folders, it's only a folder after all.

9. macrumors member

You can merge two folders by selecting them both, then right-clicking/double-tapping on them. Gives the option "New folder with selection (#of items)".

That what you mean?

10. macrumors 68040

fisherking

i was just going to post this info!. seems simple enough...

11. macrumors member

sh0vel

12. macrumors regular

It has now worked for me too, on a normal folder, but it seems not to work on the default OS X folders in the Users folder.

I tried to merge "~/Documents" from one OS X installation to another, and that doesn't work.

I guess these are regarded as system folders and for whatever reason, merge doesn't work on those.