Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steerpikegg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Has anyone tried merging two folders yet?

I just tried a few tests and can't see anywhere an option to merge, just the old dialog saying do you want to replace.

steerpikegg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Have to say I am completely stumped by this - have tried everything I can think of and still no option to merge folders :(

This is the one feature I was looking forward to....

steerpikegg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I can't believe that this isn't working. I'm about 10 minutes away from throwing my Lion disk out the window.

steerpikegg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Just got an answer for this on the Apple forum.

It seems like it will only work if you copy the folder (ie option drag or copy/paste). To me this is extremely unintuitive.

Why would it be that you don't have to copy to do a destructive operation, but do for a non-destructive?

dryjoy

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I'm glad I searched for this thread. I just can't get this merge folders feature to work at all.
It's infuriating, as I really need to merge some folders now!

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I can't believe that this isn't working. I'm about 10 minutes away from throwing my Lion disk out the window.

I'm curious as to how well that works out for you...seeing as there is no disk, unless you mean the hard drive...and if that is what you mean, I wouldn't get so worked up about merging folders, it's only a folder after all.

FranzMarc

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
You can merge two folders by selecting them both, then right-clicking/double-tapping on them. Gives the option "New folder with selection (#of items)".

That what you mean?

dryjoy

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
It has now worked for me too, on a normal folder, but it seems not to work on the default OS X folders in the Users folder.

I tried to merge "~/Documents" from one OS X installation to another, and that doesn't work.

I guess these are regarded as system folders and for whatever reason, merge doesn't work on those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.