Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coldhardmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Greetings,

Yeah, so I think I messed up. Deal is, I ordered a MB from Apple.com, but after further investigation, canceled the order because I figured the MBP might be for me instead. However, I ordered 2GB OWC memory to stick in the MB, and that can't be canceled (it's on its way). Now I realize that this can also be installed into the MBP, but my question is about Merom...

I'm now thinking of waiting for Merom to come out in the MBP's. But my question is, will I be able to use the 2GB of memory I ordered in the new MBP's with the Merom chips, or will I be stuck with 2GB of older memory? Just need to know if I should sell the memory I just ordered or keep it for Merom or what. Thanks a bunch.

Coldhardmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Well I guess another question would be whether or not the new models which include Merom chips will also include more standard memory? I mean, I hear the 64bit processor will be able to handle alot more upgradable RAM, so if it comes with 2GB memory standard, wouldnt that be a waste of my money? This is all hypothetical of course. I guess the real question to be answered would be would 2GB be considered a small/standard amount for the models that'll include the Merom chips? Thanks again.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I doubt it, the 17-inch has 1GB and that's top-shelf. When the PowerMac G5 came out with its 64-bit addressing, it still included 256MB. Only later was it bumped up to 512MB.

1GB will become standard across the line before Apple offers a laptop with 2GB base.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Coldhardmac said:
I mean, I hear the 64bit processor will be able to handle alot more upgradable RAM, so if it comes with 2GB memory standard, wouldnt that be a waste of my money?

2GB of RAM standard? From Apple? Surely you jest.

It will likely come with 512 and use 2- 256MB sticks.

AntonicKnight

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
It is worth wondering by how much memory prices will have fallen by the time Apple puts Merom in its laptops. My experience is that the price of memory can decrease by half in one year's time. So if you buy memory now and don't use it immediately, it's almost always a waste of money as you can buy the same memory for a lot less when by the time you need it.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
AntonicKnight said:
It is worth wondering by how much memory prices will have fallen by the time Apple puts Merom in its laptops. My experience is that the price of memory can decrease by half in one year's time. So if you buy memory now and don't use it immediately, it's almost always a waste of money as you can buy the same memory for a lot less when by the time you need it.

In 6 months, 2GB sticks may even be going for something approaching reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.