Merom Core2 Extreme (2.6Ghz/2.8Ghz/800Mhz FSB)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 4np, Jan 30, 2007.

1. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

According to HKEPC there is a rumor that Intel is going to release a Merom Core2 Extreme, running at 2.6Ghz (and later this year also at 2.8Ghz) with 800Mhz FSB (together with Santa Rosa?) for $750.-. The processors are supposedly targeted for extreme notebook lines such as Dell's XPS line. Perhaps also for the MBP line?

[​IMG]

source: http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=734954&starttime=1170028800&endtime=1170115200

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

:O I cant read that :( but I would love that in my iMac. Then it would be ub3r-1337!

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's likely very, very hot so it could be used in the 24 inch iMac but not the MacBook Pro. It would be nice to see such a processor in a MacBook Pro with ATI's best Radeon Mobility graphics hardware but Apple won't do it because it would have to be a chunkier, clunkier laptop computer.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Screw Merom in the iMac, I want to see full-blown desktop processors in the iMac. Socket 775, 1066 MHz front side bus, up to 2.93 GHz dual-core or 2.66 GHz quad-core. No more of this notebook processors in desktop products now that we have Core 2 Duo.

But, yes, for the MacBook Pro, I would like to see the Santa Rosa platform arrive sooner rather than later. And faster Core 2 Duo mobile chips along with it would be a welcome addition.

5. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Do you realize how hot the C2 Extreme and the Core 2 Quads are?

They're too hot to put in such a small enclosure as the iMac without some powerful fans.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Not as hot as those G5s. ;)

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I think they're talking about new low-power mobile chips that are not near as hot-running as the desktop chips. Same as 'Core 2 Duo' mobile vs. desktop. The mobile chips are 45W, the desktop chips are 65W.

Desktop Core 2 Extreme are 80W, so I would venture that the new 'Core 2 Extreme' mobile chips would be in the 60W range. Shorten the battery life a noticeable amount when running full bore, but with decent power management, you wouldn't notice in normal mobile applications. Yeah, it would make the MacBook Pros run hotter, but running the fans faster can alleviate that.

8. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I was referring to your post suggesting desktop processors in the iMac.