Merom Delayed Further?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HecubusPro, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #1
    I saw this on Appleinsider.
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1983

    "The problem could grow if demand continues to rise," Macworld UK reported. "It takes several weeks to finish production of a chipset, meaning output increases can take some time to actually reach the market."

    The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.


    Waiting is painful. I've been waiting a few months. I suppose a couple of more won't hurt too much more.:(
     
  2. ksz macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2003
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #2
    Apple may still announce the update next month but our shopping carts will have 3-5 week wait.
     
  3. milo macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #3
    A motherboard delay would only delay conroe, not merom, since merom can use the yonah mobos already shipping.
     
  4. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #4
    Apple's M.O. is more like: "Let's distract the stupidly loyal customers with a gimmicky ipod phone, hoping they won't notice stale pro product lines -- then announce Merom MBP's in October with an actual shipping date of 10-12 weeks."
     
  5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #5
    Most likely true!
     
  6. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Meroms drop right in.

    Regarding Apple's phone, I take it you have seen it? You seem to know what they have come up with.
     
  7. j26 macrumors 65832

    j26

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    Paddyland
    #7
    Aaaargh!! F**k!!

    I'm getting very sick of waiting for ANY revision to the iMac.:mad: :(
     
  8. JAT macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2001
    Location:
    Mpls, MN
    #8
    Merom, and all the new processors, have only been moved up. What delay are you talking about? Wishing for a new computer to come out every Tuesday is not a delay on Intel's part.
     
  9. amin macrumors 6502a

    amin

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2003
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #9
    I too am waiting impatiently for Apple to get a Core 2 duo in an iMac. If it doesn't happen soon, I may break and get a current iMac.
     
  10. HecubusPro thread starter macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #10
    The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.

    That delay.
     
  11. Fadl macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2001
    #11

    Again: Merom uses the same plattform than the Yonah MacBook(Pro). So there is no new chipset for Merom!
     
  12. milo macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #12
    THAT delay would be a delay of CONROE machines, not merom. Conroe needs a new motherboard, merom can go into existing designs, from mini to iMac to macbook to MB pro.
     
  13. HecubusPro thread starter macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #13
    Then I guess I'm confused by this comment...
    The shortage could potentially delay the release of Apple's upcoming Core 2 Duo-based systems.

    Appleinsider is specifically speaking of Apple Core 2 Duo-based systems.

    The sky isn't falling. I'm just hoping this doesn't significantly affect a merom MBP rollout.
     
  14. HecubusPro thread starter macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #14
    Now that I understand. Thank you.
     
  15. #15
    this is crap! Intel should have anticipated this way ahead of time considering their past backlogs of getting out motherboards and new processors! :mad: I need a new machine soon but don't want to kick myself if they put conroe in the new imac just after i break and decide on getting an imac that has a notebook processor in it!! :(
     
  16. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #16
    Actually it may be a bigger deal than you think. As I understand it the 965 chipset doubles the integrated graphics from 64 to 128 mb shared video. While Apple can simply swap the Yonahs out and Meroms in to avoid delaying a bump to the MacBook or Mini (since they both rely on integrated graphics), it means not being able to offer a simultaneous increase in VRAM. Apple may not want to have another revision a few weeks later, causing either a delay for those machines, or just a speed bump now, and no graphics bump till January or as late as March with Santa Rosa. My guess is the MBP and iMac will see Meroms in early Sept and MacBooks and Minis will get pushed back till late September to mid-October.
     
  17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #17
    The 965 won't be on a MOBILE platform until Santa Rosa.

    http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom
     
  18. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #18
    Well then I want my 1.83 or 2.0 Mini, and I want it yesterday, or 6 days from now at the latest.
     
  19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #19
    There are third parties that can do that or you can just do it yourself.
     
  20. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #20
    Yeah, but for how much?
    I don't really mind taking apart a Mini, but is the cost savings really that worth it on RAM? You can get larger and faster HDDs, but the faster ones aren't cheap. I'm going to do a Ministack anyway. And the cost of a processor? Then you have to flash the firmware don't you. Are you saying get a 1.5 to save $200 and then upgrade pretty much everything. Once I start doing that to a 1.66 $800 + RAM + HDD + processor + time = $1300-1600 Mini. Right.

    BTW, I'm not calling you out. If you know more than I do, just give me some #'s to work from. Maybe a couple links.

    Thanks.
     
  21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #21
    Yonah prices are still high. I didn't say you'd SAVE money doing it.
     
  22. JAT macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2001
    Location:
    Mpls, MN
    #22
    What do you need the Mini for? The 1.6 is very capable, at least with 2GB RAM. I've been very happy with mine since May. If you decide it's not enough at some point, upgrade it later. After prices are lower on Merom.
     
  23. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #23
    Actually you may be on to something.

    Refurb'd 1.66 Mini $750 incl. tax
    100 GB 2.5" Hitachi Traverstar 7200 SATA 8MB Cache & 2GB RAM from OWC $392.50 shipped

    Total system $1142.50

    From Apple with Edu disc. 1.66 100GB 5400 HDD & 2BG RAM $1173 incl. tax.

    Save $30 and get a faster drive.

    Upgrade CPU down the line if I want.
     
  24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #24
    I was including the CPU upgrade. :p
     

Share This Page