merom for mbp, worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bearbo, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Is MBP with 64bit merom worth waiting for?
    I understand that leopord will support 64bit, but what does 64bit give that 32bit can't?
    Thanks

2. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

no idea on what 64bit over 32bit will do. but i know that merom will be eaither 25% cooler or faster (depending on how you configure it) and that from what it sounds like leopard will be an os geared towards true 64bit and also be compatible with 32bit. they were really hyping up 64bit so id stick it out if you can.

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

If I really need an Apple laptop right now, today, I will probably buy a MB rather than keep waiting. That's my prerogative.

4. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

how exactly is leopard geared towards true 64bit, i mean, what are some of the things that 32bit might not be able to do?

5. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Basically if you want >4GB in your MacBook Pro/MacBook then yeah, Core 2 Duo is worth waiting for.

If you want very high precision floating point calculations 64-bit is more precise than 32-bit.

If you don't plan on doing that much, you probably won't see much of a difference.

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Another plus for being patient and waiting for merom, is that the MBP's will have a better life...Which is a huge thing being that we only get a meesly 2:30-3 hours on current MBP's (If were lucky)

7. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

I think it will be worth waiting apple will have ironed out any problems that already haven't been

8. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

When MBP Update?

Does anyone have an estimate when they think Apple will release an upgrade MBP with the update chip?

I've got a 2G MBP now - and have a buyer that will pay me decent money, if it's coming soon - I can survive on my ThinkPad - but I don't think I can do it for more than 3 months.

Any thoughts? Any events coming up? Do you think Apple will just release it - or do you think a big party is necessary?

God - why couldn't they have released it this week? Afterall - it is a Pro show.

Tommy Wasabi.

9. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

I think paris expo
    if not then it might be a quiet update or maybe even MW 07 but i don't think apple will wait that long

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

My thoughts exactly. I am owed a new one by Apple (I seem to have a lemon), but am afraid they'll comp me one and release a Merom MBP the same day or something.

11. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

64bit "might" be more future proof

The Core 2 duo chips will be available for laptops by the end of this month beginning of next month. It all depends on whether Apple want to make a big thing about it in which case it could be as late as Paris Expo. Same goes for the iMac too.

They use the same socket and chipset (a firmware/Bios update may be needed) and cost the same as the old Core duo chips. Apple could loose sales if they wait too long to release them.

If you can wait, then wait they'll be out in a month or so.

If you need a laptop now then purchase one now.

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

???? - all reports thus far indicate about the same - ??

13. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

can someone with mbp give me an idea about how long it lasts on battery with the following conditions:
    normal productivity usage (e.g. browse internet, listen to music, type up paper)
    watch movie (id assuming it wont vary from app to app?)
    idle, not sleep...

Thanks

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Makes sense to me. Guess I can wait one more month...
    AP, Safari, iChat, Mail, and iTunes running. Full brightness: 2:35

All of the above, AP off, 2 bars of brightness: 4:18

All of the above, AP on, half brightness: 3:20

Movie: usually long enough to finish it.

15. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

Watching a movie (on a plane) - about 2 hrs 15 minutes. If you can keep it cool enough, maybe 2 hrs 30 minutes - but never longer.

Listening to music - hmmmm.... don't know.

General working. I've had it go 2 hours 30 minutes before with about 10% left.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND making sure you have 2G of RAM, keep your keyboard backlighting off and your monitor brightness as low as possible, and turn your Airport and bluetooth off. That should yield you the best results.

16. erkanasu macrumors 6502

For general work my laptop goes for about 3 hours( at the brightest setting), in low lighting i can cruise for almost 4!

MBP 1.83 ghz/1.5gb. This laptop is addictively amazing. either way, youll be happy with the laptop. 64bit for general consumers is meaningless imo, but it def doesnt hurt to have

17. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

no

64 bit is the natural progression because in 5 years computers will have stupid amounts of RAM

mbp's can't take advantage of such modules

18. thestaton macrumors 6502

I can't decide either. I think I'll wait till tuesday and see if anything hatches, if nothing shows up im gonna go on and get one now :)

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Seriously These MBPs better be released real soon. I'm sick of waiting lol

20. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

you're going to be waiting until 2007

21. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

i just opened mine... trying to name it now..

22. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

23. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Would it seem cliché to name mine 'Mac'?

24. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

cliche