Merom on July 23!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by freestyleguy128, Jul 17, 2006.

1. freestyleguy128 macrumors regular

Apple Insider claims that Intel is looking to "simplify" its Core 2 Duo releases by releasing Merom alongside Conroe on the 23. If this happens, that could potentially mean merom rev. b macbook pros by the beginning og august. Any thoughts?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not a big news item...they're only considering announcing them at the same time as Conroe. They still won't ship until the late August timeframe we've been expecting for a while now.

3. freestyleguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

But won't that downtime between announcement and release still push apple to crank out new MBPs before the end of august?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm sure Apple has known about the timeline for Merom availability for quite some time and has planned their product releases accordingly. That date has not changed, so any balloon-dropping, banner-unfurling announcement of what they already know won't push them to do anything.

What we don't know is how closely Apple is tying their Merom-based MBP release to the availability of the processor. Will it come out right after the processor comes available? That'll depend on how far along they are in the engineering of the machines and the expected initial availability of the processor. Or will they wait maybe until October for processor production to stabilize? Who knows?

5. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I could honestly care less about Merom. Sure it is a huge thing to most. i just ordered myself a MacBook Pro 1.83 refurb. Then again I want to browse internet, listen to music, play BF2, COD2, CSS, HL2 and DOD:S So Merom isn't a huge deal to me considering this MBP with be 10000 times better then my PC. It can't even run BF2 on low. So I'm excited about this thing. When I here thwe title "Merom Released" I will be like meh.

--Aaron

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well Apple had the iMac Core Duo out 5 days after Yonah was launched at CES in January. If Intel pushed its Merom launch to July 23rd we might expect something at WWDC.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You're missing the point. Apple unveiled the iMac a week after Intel started shipping Yonah. Intel is still planning to ship Merom in late August...nothing has changed there. Who cares when the big brass band and clowns have an announcement party? All that matters to Apple (and by extension its consumers) is when production quantities of Merom start flowing off of Intel's loading docks. And that's still late August.

Could there be an iMac announcement at WWDC with shipping occurring later? Possibly, though I doubt it since WWDC is focused on the Pro line.

8. ironic23 macrumors 6502

I just hope that the MacPros come out during WWDC. Any upgrade to the existing line would just be an add-on. :D

9. Superlat macrumors member

information, please

I'm ignorant on this topic, so can someone tell me will this Merom
    chip run cooler? I will be using the computer for rendering and
    CPU intensive projects, so will it be faster, stronger, better?
    And will it generate enough less heat so that people will stop
    writing threads about their hands burning and parts of their MBPs
    melting?

OK, I just went to the Merom link, thanks. Higher performance, lower
    voltage on the slower ones.

What prevents someone from buying a 2.33 dual Merom or Conroe XE for $650
    and plopping it in some box from Fry's and installing OSX on it? The logic board?

10. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/promacs.ars/5

hope that helps

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

Ahh.. the big brother chip twarting upgraders. The joys of being a Mac user, the joys of being a tool...

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well, it might also depend on the OS as well. 10.4.8 might be the minimum OS for a Core 2 Duo CPU to be properly registered as an official Apple CPU. (Right now it just shows up as Genuine Intel.) You might need to install 10.5 or somehow wrangle in 10.4.8 or 10.4.9.

13. codo macrumors 6502

X3000, anyone?

+ Merom = A MacBook Chris would be truly happy with.

But need dictates I’m purchasing one at the end of August, X3000 or not. Then I'll just flog it on eBay when the GMA X3000 is in the MacBook (which could be months, I guess). Loose a few hundred Pounds, but it will be worth it for a better graphics chip.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The mobile X3000 isn't coming out until Santa Rosa next year. Merom can work just fine usng the GMA950.

15. codo macrumors 6502

I was aware they could work separately, I wasn’t aware that X3000 wasn’t being released until next year.

That’s perfect then, nothing to worry about buying ASAP.

Cheers Eidorian, your full of funkily helpful advice - We like you.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, Q2 2007 for Santa Rosa and the X3000.

http://www.pcnx.com/view/1374/