Merom or Conroe

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by timmillwood, Jul 6, 2006.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I am looking to get a new computer over the next 6 months to replace my Powermac G5 Dual 2.0ghz

I dont know if i should go for the MacBook Pro with Merom processoer
    or
    mac pro With Conroe processer

Which do you think will be faster?

I would like the fastest but i think they would be about the same in speed so i might as well get the portable option.

but if the Mac Pro is faster i would rather that, because i would in web + magazine design and need the power!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Conroe will be faster. If Apple choose to ship (as is rumoured) a dual-CPU, quad-Core Mac Pro it will clearly smoke a MacBook Pro in multi-threaded apps...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I thought Conroe doesn't support 2 x 2 processors though. But yes, it is faster then Merom. Considering it is desktop vs. mobile.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It doesn't, Conroe only supports single-socket systems. Woodcrest however does support systems with two sockets and as such would be the chip used in a quad version of the MacPro.

Conroe could be used in single processor MacPros. It is faster than Merom but not by much I don't think, Merom does have the advantage of putting out much less heat.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

That's where the Woodcrest comes in.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Oh yeah, I forgot that only the higher end models would need 2 sockets. Still, it's down to Conroe vs. Woodcrest?

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

It is going to be quite pathetic if Apple pops Conroes into Mac "Pros".

Remember the Pentium 4? The Conroe is the consumer chip that is basically the equivalent of Intel's Pentium 4 in 2006's lineup. A consumer chip in a $2000 desktop computer the likes of Dell and HP? Absolutely unacceptable.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A Conroe with 4 MB of cache isn't terrible for a low end Power Mac.

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

It isn't terrible, true. But think how it'd look alongside the Dells that costs 50% less that is identical spec for spec. Ok, maybe the Dell would lose out somewhat, but the whole deal will keep resonate "Sucker.. sucker.." in my head as I walk into the nearest Applecentre.

I don't mind a price bump across the line, make the whole line quad based off Woodcrest (aka Xeons). At least when you get a dual socket mainboard you know where your dollars are going, since those are traditionally a lot more expensive than consumer single socket boards (think along the lines of $40 vs $400 difference retail).

I for one will refuse to buy a single processor Mac "Pro". A Merom laptop is so much better value.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my guess is merom in the mbp, conroe in the imac, and woodcrest in the mac pro. In which case the mac pro will destroy either of the others, and the imac will be a little faster than the mbp.