Merom- possible future problems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i-unit123, Jun 16, 2006.

1. i-unit123 macrumors member

May 26, 2006

I just ordered a new 17" Macbook Pro, BTO with 2GB Ram. I was wondering, although, when merom comes out, if the transition to 64-bit will be a problem. As Yonah is 32-bit (correct me if im wrong) and Merom is 64-bit, in the next few months will software start to be released in 64 bit only and i will not be able to run it? Basically, will this computer be able to last at least a few years, or will the whole yonah/merom thing make it a problem. also, what would the 32-bit to 64-bit speed bump be equivalent to, in, say, a difference of Ghz? thanks for your time,
  2. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

May 31, 2006

I am no expert, but there are some threads around here on this subject. Basically the consensus is that you will not have a problem. Apple has been good about not rendering computers useless b/c of new technolgy incorporated into the os....people are still running g3s, from what I heard.
  3. aaronb macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2006
    I'm under the understanding that software will be made as 64-bit compatible, not 64-bit only. I could be wrong but that's always how I've understood it.

I think the idea of 64-bit processing on a laptop is a little misleading. From what I've heard, you would have to be doing some powerful processes to really get use of 64-bit processing.

I've always liked the advice: "If you need a new computer, get it. If you don't, wait."

Can anyone check me on this? I could be wrong and if I am, feel free to correct me.
  4. manjurr macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2006
    Well, from my understanding, I thought that the Mac OS X (or at least Tiger) can handle both 32 and 64-bit architecture (or how else could it run on both iMacs and PowerMacs, 32 and 64-bit respectively?)

edit: This is right off apple's website -
  5. aaronb macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2006
    My question is, is 64-bit computing going to be used to its full potential in a laptop? I tend to see it used more for intense computing like for high video composing and audio composing. (ie Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, animation software).
  6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    10.2 and 10.3 both ran on the G5 as well. Tiger just has better 64-bit memory addressing support. Most 64-bit processors run 32-bit applications just fine.