Merom vs. Conroe in iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Zwhaler, Jun 22, 2006.

?

Which processor will the new iMac get?

1. Merom

42 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Conroe

28 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Which do you think the iMac will get? I know that it will most likely get Merom, but I, and most likely most of you, would perfer Conroe in the upcoming rev of the iMac. So, which, and why?

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Conroe would be a better move for many reasons if they keep they same iMac design, as we know it can hold a G5, so a Conroe would fit easily. Also if Apple chooses not to use intel desktop chip in any line up(If PowerMac got Conroe it will be a bad upgrade from Quad G5) then it will seem like there is a whole in Apple's desktop line

Mac Mini-Merom
    iMac-Merom
    PowerMac/Mac Pro-WoodCrest

If Apple does put Merom in the iMac, i should hope see see a low end tower Mac at the low 2k price range.

If Apple does put Conroe in the iMac, they could raise the prices(100 or 200 on each model but i know this would be unwelcomed by many people) and find room for a eMac replacement with Merom

What ever Apple does they have room to add a new Mac to the desktop line(or a 23'' iMac but that seem unlikely)

(that said i voted for Merom :) as it would leave room for a smaller iMac)

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

5. afornander macrumors 6502

merom in all consumer mac's(mini, macbook, imac), and conroe in pro mac's(macpro, mbp). maby make it optional in mbp.

6. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I could see a low end conroe ending up in the iMac... but its not likely.

7. iBrow macrumors regular

I'd like to see Conroe, But i think that they will put Merom in the iMac.

8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Merom seems most likely. I think that'll be in the next Rev. iMac. And that would be just FINE with me. :)

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Merom.

No.

10. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

The only reason why I see the iMac getting Conroe is because I believe the Mac Pro will be getting Woodcrest.

As far as I see it, the Intel roadmap could seriously make Apple's product line "differentiation" nearly perfect.

Desktops
    Mac Mini - Yonah (eventually Merom)
    iMac - Conroe (or Merom...I guess :p )
    Mac Pro - Woodcrest (or Conroe...maybe :p )

MacBooks
    MacBook - Yonah (eventually Merom)
    MacBook Pro - Merom

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

12. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

Powerbook G5 anyone?

The iMac is capable of handling a G5 but the Powerbook (MBP) isn't. With the Merom being a laptop processor, it doesn't seem fitting for it to be in the iMac.

Obviously Yonah and Woodcrest are out of the question. The only thing left is the Conroe. As long as the iMac can handle a desktop processor, throw the Conroe in it.

13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I would prefer Conroe, but if you're purchasing an iMac, I doubt you would need that much power at the moment. So I'm pretty sure it'll be a Merom, but it would be a great move by Apple to shove a Conroe in it and keep it cool and quiet. Conroe is also cheaper than the equivalent Merom so Apple would benefit in the long run. I bet you're thinking what a boringly long post just to say I think Merom will be in the next iMac.

14. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Merom = change nothing (and) Conroe = New Logic Board (so) Imac = Merom

15. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

you guys realize that a merom and conroe are the same chip, just different TDP's and clock rates?

16. iGary Guest

iGary

So they are the same, but different?

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

conroe, it's near the same thermal envelope as the G5 and it's cheaper and faster than merom, apple only used yonah in the imac because the pentium D sucks.

18. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

same architecture and everything. except merom is meant to be run at slower speeds at a lower power requirement while conroe will scale past 3 GHz this year and have a higher power draw to let it reach those speeds.

it's like AMD Turion's in notebooks, they're just Athlon 64 chips made to run at a lower voltage, same chip otherwise.

it's all about the speed binning at the factory, whatever can run stable at a given frequency at a given voltage will be labeled a merom, what can't will be a conroe.

i can see overclockers buying merom chips and putting them in conroe motherboards for the fact alone that they can drive up the voltage and get higher frequencies.

19. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

I would think Conroe. The imac casing can handle it. Apple wants to have a powerful iMac, and it is a desktop after all... The price would be about the same, so I don't see why not conroe.

And I don't think anyone has forgotten about iGary's little wager on the subject...

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

[​IMG]

intel just hammers out these things and tests the first batch and makes predictions which sections are suitable for which enviroment, the ones in the center will run on a lower voltage, slightly further out desktop cpu's are found which will run at high voltages and clock speeds, and out on the edge lies core2solo's or celerons or whatever.

21. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Also will require diffenent LB's

22. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

i hope merom honestly because the iMac needs a redesign bad, the chin has got to go, and it could be thinner honestly.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the pin difference is just for the extra power requirement, the cores are the same.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian