Merom wha..?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coday182, Jul 28, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Well since I decided to wait a while before i get my MBP, I will probably get one that has Merom. So what is it and how will it change the performance and stuff?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

IMO It's not really worth waiting for something when you don't know what it is you're waiting for...

Merom is the next version of the Core Duo processors. Apparently they offer around a 15-20 % speed increase, only really noticable to real number crunchers (mathematicians, scientists etc...). Day-to-day use is not that different. I also read somewhere that Audio processing performance of Merom is no different to Yonah, and video processing is only marginally better...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but since they are going to be 64bit chips, they can address larger amounts of ram no?

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Rumour has it that Yonah is also 64 bit. OS X just doesn't support 64 bit Intel chips yet. Hopefully they will enable 64 bit processing on the Yonah chips when Leopard is released...

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

but in a laptop i can't see more then 4Gb(the limit of 32 bit chips_

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Even 4 gb is LUDICROUSLY expensive anyway...

1 GB can run 65 apps at the same time on my MBP, admittely a bit sluggishly. 2 GB can do the same but faster. 2 GB is easily enough for the next 4/5 years.

1.83 GHz Duo is also VERY VERY FAST. IMO, Duo laptops are bit of an overkill!!!

7. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Yeah, they can address more RAM, but as others have said, there's no real point as that RAM would be more expensive than your laptop. 2GB SO-DIMMS are running about 1000 bucks right now, half of a stock 15" MBP. Why? Most people don't run THAT many apps, even then, 2 GB on dual channel is more than enough. To me the only reason to get a 64 bit system is to future proof your self because you never know where the tech world will be by the time you'd be replacing your comp.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and yes the future-proofing part is the point i was trying to make. right now 2 Gigs is affordable, but down the road since it is able to address more ram as prices go down it would maybe be a possibility

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Well apart from the persecution complex, the laptop will go faster.

10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Don't keep your hopes up for RAM prices going down a lot. I have no idea what RAM originally cost for an imac G3, but now i am looking at $70 for a 512 MB stick of outdated and obselete RAM. What a ripoff (although its not as bad as $1000, i still think it should be less for RAM that isn't used anymore :D )

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

wrong. Same clock speeds, larger L2 Cache. Merom are around 20% more effecient than Yonahs while consuming the same amount of power.

Yonah 32-bit
    Merom 64-bit.

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

32-bit chips can only address 4gb of ram.

64-bit can handle a whole lot more. However. You can only put in as much ram as many slots you have. So those wanting a 4Gb+ ram iMac..... wait 3-4 years and you'll be in the line to get one.