Message.app separate message windows?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by devburke, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Guest

Can anyone tell me if Messages allows you to have your chats in separate windows, rather than one tabbed on? iChat gives that option, and I strongly prefer it. I'd find out myself, but since Messages replaces iChat, I don't know if you can go back after installing Messages.

2. macrumors 65816

You can, right click on a name of someone your chatting with and select open in separate window

3. thread starter Guest

But by default, it will only open in the main window? That stinks. I hope they add an option by the time it's out of beta.

4. macrumors 65816

They'll probably take feedback from Beta users

5. macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

On a related note, how do you get your picture to show up next to the bubbles on your side of the conversation?

6. macrumors 68030

For me, it uses the picture I have for my account on the computer. Didn't change any settings.

----------

Yes. Just double click on the conversation in the list, and it opens in its own window.

7. macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Weird. I have a picture set for my account. I even have my address card set for this account (which also has a picture of me, the same one), and I don't get any picture on my side of the conversation in Messages. Anyone else?

8. macrumors 68030

I just realized I have the same picture for my own entry in the Address Book app, maybe that's where it gets the pictures from?

9. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

I prefer it this way. My desktop used to be all cluttered up with different chat windows when I used microsoft messenger a few years ago. Maybe they can add an option for people to set it to open in a separate window by default or the way it is now. Options are always great

10. macrumors newbie

You can also doubleclick the thread on the left to open in a new window.

11. thread starter Guest

Yeah, I know a lot of people preferred it when they added tabs to iChat, but I still preferred separate windows. I think having Exposé makes windows a lot easier to deal with than tabs anyway. That's one of the main reasons I can't switch to Chrome, it does all it can to force you into using tabs. But it was never an issue with iChat, I just turned off the option for tabbed windows.

I know, but it sucks to have to do that every time. Plus, I just discovered that when you close the main tabbed window, all your individual windows disappear too! What's the logic behind that one??