Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siddarth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I installed the DP2 of Mountain Lion yesterday and my Messages (both sending and receiving) and Mail (only sending) stopped working. Is there any thing I'm missing?

dpetree

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Florida
I had to go into mail preferences and click on iCloud then clicked the Advanced tab and change the port to 993 to make it work. I do not know why the automatic setup had the port wrong.

I also notice that the mail uses a lot of Processor/Ram

A Lot more then Lion

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I haven't had problems with Messages and Mail, but my Notes app crashes on startup now.

Siddarth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I had to go into mail preferences and click on iCloud then clicked the Advanced tab and change the port to 993 to make it work. I do not know why the automatic setup had the port wrong.

I also notice that the mail uses a lot of Processor/Ram

A Lot more then Lion

My port is already set to 993. Still cant send any mails. And messages wont work no matter what I do.

Edit:
Okay there was a problem with my SMTP server, it was not configured properly due to the google app specific password. But Messages still wont work :/

Last edited:

andrewlee

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
No problem with mail and messages, notes app crashes during first few boots after installing mountain lion dp2, didn't have that afterwards. However, safari do have some occasion lag though.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Mail totally stopped working for me as far as sending out messages.

I get this message:

The SMTP server “outgoing.verizon.net” doesn’t support TLS (SSL) on port 25. Verify your account settings and try again.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Anybody know a workaround?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.