Messages Badge Issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by GaresTaylan, Feb 20, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. On Messages, Ive encountered an issue where the icon in the dock shows I have 1 unread message. Thing is, I have no open messages. Im not sure if I closed one without clicking on it first or what.

From what Ive noticed, if I have say, 4 unread messages and I open the app up, then click on the message window containing those 4 unread messages... it will drop the number on the badge. If I click out of messages, the number goes back up. Its like its not permanently marking them as read when I click that message box.

Any ideas???

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors regular

Where? I can't see a feedback option either in the messages app, or on Apples feedback page. The messages beta page didn't help much either.

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors regular

Anyone else noticing the badge counts are much better recently?

8. macrumors 68020

My badges are displaying double the actual number of messages. It's been very annoying lately.

9. macrumors 68040

Watabou

This has been happening to me too recently (on Lion).

I found a sort of a temporary fix though: Open up Terminal and type: "killall Dock" without the quotes and that fixes the problem for me.

10. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

That does fix it but it's annoying having to keep doing it and it happens several times a day to me.

11. macrumors 68040

Watabou

Are you running Lion? I think the Messages app in Mountain Lion fixes the problem. I don't have this problem anymore.

12. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

It happened to me in Lion and now also in Mountain Lion. I did an upgrade, not a clean install so that might be the issue but Apple shouldn't expect everyone to be doing a clean install anyway.

13. macrumors 604

bushido

used to happen to me on Lion but ML has a new iMessages built and works just fine so far