Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andycarver

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
QLD, Australia
I've only had SL for just over 2 years. I don't want I upgrade yet. Obviously messages has been created for lion users to reel them into ML.

Has anyone found a way of getting messages on 10.6?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
$29, App Store.

This "I'm afraid to update" business is beyond ridiculous. What do you think this is, Windows?

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Snow Leopard has ichat 5. Lion has iChat 6. Messages installs on top of ichat in the Lion beta. You wouldd probably have to port ichat 6 to snow leopard first before installing messages.

If you have a test installation of snow leopard that you dont mind messing about with then maybe try installing messages using pacifist and hope for the best.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Well, I didn't have any success with Messages on 10.6

First, I modified the SystemVersion.plist to make the installer think my system was updated to 10.7.3. Then I installed the Messages Beta and restarted. I then replaced Snow Leopard's iChat with the latest Lion version and attempted to start the application. No go. Just an error message pop-up asking to report the fault to Apple.

Total bummer and unfair...first no iCloud for 10.6 (whatever happened to 10.6.9?) and now this. If AirPlay is made available to Core 2 Duo systems it may just be time to take the plunge, whatever the cost in battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.