Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TahoeGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Can anyone tell me definitively whether messaging applications such as AIM make use of AT&T's SMS service? I count myself among the many who were disappointed that AT&T didn't include any SMS messages in the new 3G packages, so I'd like to find a messaging solution that won't result in me paying $.20 every time I send or receive a message. There seem to be several messaging applications, but to the novice, it's not clear which will result in an AT&T charge and which are totally free. Thanks in advance!!!

ChazDaSpaz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
I think the AIM client can send SMS messages to other phones and it'll be charged to your data, since we have unlimited data on iPhones it should be free.

theotherrogue

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I can't wait until everyone just transitions to mobile e-mail, then there will be no need to SMS. Unfortunately, that will be a couple of years.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
This has been answered dozens of times...but AIM app does NOT use SMS, it uses data. You can use AIM to send free SMS messages.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
OMFG Y Won't u JUST READ THE FREAKING FORUM PEOPLE! THIS IS THE 3rd post. Can a Mod please delete this or close this!! :mad:

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
I'm assuming sending an SMS is free but receiving still costs money?

There is a free service that lets you send sms messages through e-mail and then e-mails you there response back so you can avoid using actual SMS's entirely. The name is slipping from me at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.