Messed-up ads in forum

Discussion in 'Community' started by crenz, Sep 6, 2003.

1. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

[to moderators: Sorry for posting this here -- I didn't see any "about this site" forum, so I decided to just post it to Community discussions. Feel free to move as needed.]

Anybody else having problems with the ads at the bottom of the thread pages in this forum?

I'm using Camino/0.7 and for longer threads (about > 5-6 posts), the ads at the bottom often cover the buttons at the bottom of the thread (e.g. "post reply", the last post's "quote" etc.). Would be nice if something can be done about it.

The irony... after I posted the thread, I saw that the ad at the bottom appeared double (one on top of the other) even though the thread has only one link. Some of the links in the ad are not displayed correctly, so I wouldn't even be able to click-through. Definitely not the point of having ads...

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sounds like more of a rendering issue to me with your browser. Have you tried viewing these problematic threads in Safari?

3. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Oh yes, of course it is. It doesn't happen in any other browser I tried. However, since a number of people like to use Camino, I thought it'd be worth it to review the code used to display the ads. Plus, Camino is Mozilla-based, so it might affect the other Mozilla browsers as well.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Doesn't effect Firebird, another Mozilla browser. Are you using a nightly Camino build?

5. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Good to know. Yes, I'm using a nightly build. Maybe I should try a different one.

I can't use Firebird, since many things don't work (e.g. can't type into the location bar), and I can't use Safari since it keeps on crashing on me, even after a reinstall.

*sigh*

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok, so it may well be a layout/rendering bug in your Camino nightly. Try getting the last stable 'official' 0.7 release and giving it a go. I tend to keep 0.7 and a nightly on my system, for just such problems with nightlys ;)

...man, did I say the word "nightly" enough there? :p :eek:

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Messed-up ads in forum

I'll review the ad code... but I would guess this is a Caminio thing... the html at the bottom of this page is pretty standard... no fancy CSS or anything. Just straight html and some javascript.

arn