Messenger 5 - Whats this all about?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobHague, Sep 9, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

I downloaded Messenger 5 from the MS site, being relitivly new to the whole Mac OSX experience it seemed simple enough after. I had a .DMG file - Opened it (OSX new what it was so that part was simple) and installed the application inside (MSN).

However it seems that to run MSN a 'virtual drive' with it in appears each time?? On the desktop...

Whats that all about? What did i do wrong?

Ta

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Drag the Messenger application into your Applications folder, and run it from there.

3. leachy macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, when you run the app from within the DMG it appears to run an install package, it only sets up the preferences in the user folder. Move it to the apps folder and run from there.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When you open a DMG, nothing usually happens. Its sorta like unzipping a file. I know its not the same thing, but just think about it. Once you get this "virtual drive" you usually have to move the app to the Applications folder so that whenever you want to use the program, you don't need to start up this "virtual folder" again just to get to it.

5. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the first post fixed it right up, thanks for the other posts though too.

I guess im still expecting programs to 'install' themselves in the right folders :D