Messenger 6 for Mac to miss out on voice, video AGAIN

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 16, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: 3rd Party Software
    Link: Messenger 6 for Mac to miss out on voice, video AGAIN
    Description:: The new Intel-friendly MSN Messenger client for Mac will be released "in the next couple of weeks", says Microsoft, but audio and video is another year and another version away.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise...

That's a sur-prise!!

I swear MS is run by Gomer Pyle in conjunction with the cast of F-Troop.
  3. macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    At least Skype works like a charm now. Those guys have their act together.
  4. macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    With Skype and Adium running i don't need MSN, it'd be a nice inclusion on a later version of adium though. Always nice to have options.
  5. macrumors member

Oct 4, 2005

It doesn't come to me as any surprise that Microsoft seems and is incapable of making video available through their msn messenger for macs. Their efforts towards making apps available for apple products is a joke.

Thanks goodness for ichat and yahoo.
  6. macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Hope the get rid of that brushed metal interface.
  7. macrumors 6502

Oct 30, 2005
  8. macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2005

Microsoft's efforts for making available for their own Windows system is a joke...look at Vista!:cool:
  9. macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2006
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    thank god they didnt add those nudges and winks. msn 6 for windows was pretty good, msn 7 ruined it.

lets hope they dont ruin it anymore for the Mac. Not having AV is bad enough
  10. macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2003
    Nelson, Wales
    I for one completely disagree with you. Every single mac user I've known who's switched back to a pc has done so because of msn messenger. For alot of young people they use computers to chat to people, so by the OSX platform not having a comparible version of msn messenger no amount of ilife adfertising will sway younger users.

I'm pretty sure this is the sole reason why Microsoft have not developed the mac version of msn messenger to be comparible to the windows version.

Yes another sad day for me at least

11. macrumors member

Oct 4, 2005

Very true! ha-ha!
  12. macrumors member

Sep 25, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    Whaaaa????? Wow, that must be the nuttiest reason I've EVER heard for switching... And I've heard "I don't like the default font" so that's saying something...!

Especially considering aMSN supports "most" modern MSN features (nudges, ink, video...). Some are still missing, but the bulk has been there for the last few years.
  13. macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I am no developer but how can rewriting such a small app to allow AV take a year and a half?

I mean photoshop is updated every 18 months (or there abouts).

Is this microsoft just being **** as usual or does that sound about right? :eek:

Seem crazy to me!
  14. macrumors member

Oct 4, 2005
    microsoft attitude and its products

I personally think that microsoft will never like the fact that they have to write such apps like msn for macs. They will always prefer you use a pc using windows and the prefered msn for windows version.

considering the type of apps that do come from microsoft, i have moved away from using 75% of those apps when i started using a mac. The only ones I still use are microsoft word and excel.

i remember when i got my first mac last year and wondered if i should d/l some microsoft apps such as internet explorer or windows media player or messenger. I must say i d/led these three and was disappointed in how crappy they are for macs. I found flip4mac to replace any windows media player files i need to use and/or convert. I easily got adapted to ichat to get rid of using messenger. I deleted IE soon after i saw how crappy it was compared to safari or firefox.

needless to say, ie for macs got canned by microsoft. you could give those redmond guys a few years and they still wont be happy doing "free" software apps for mac people, such as the ones I have mentioned.

I learned my lessons very early and have moved away from ever using msn products and microsoft products when possible.
  15. macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Those poor, poor software deprived children. There's a little secret to the mac: it's called freeware and shareware that just works.
  17. macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    you hit the nail on the head there, funkychunkz. I couldn't care less about MSN, I use Adium and Skype, the latter of which I have converted at least 5 friends to, and I'm in the progress of increasing that number. Skype does indeed work like a charm, and I use it more willingly than Adium, although Adium is soooo customizable. I really love that.
  18. macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    Just so thatt I fully understand this:
    MSN 6 offers many features, all of which have been available on other messengers for at LEAST a year, if not 2 or 3. Some of the more basic features for main stream corporate funded (AIM, Yahoo, iChat) messengers like voice and video STILL aren't available, while at least one freeware/shareware program has implemented this ability?

You know, I can trash the windows OS, but in the end it is still a VERY complicated program, that has only been upstaged by a handful of software teams. But MSN messenger is a relatively simple program that is being upstaged by college kids in their basement :\
    I can't even laugh, it's too sad to laugh :(
  19. macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    Read the post you replied to. He contended that heavy MSN Messenger users he knew had switched back to get the much more feature rich Windows version.

So, in your eyes, there are freeware and shareware alternatives to MSN Messenger available for Mac OS X which will allow the most important features missing from MSN Messenger for Mac to run seamlessly, as well as the Windows version, with a similar interface, with 100% compatibility, and which (like MSN Messenger on Windows) "just work"*.

Name them.

* (I would contend that it is in this case reasonable to define "just working" as "working just as well (or at least within a relatively similar bracket, say maximum 20% difference) if not better than the Windows version of Messenger that the poster compared it to". So the Mac clone having 10fps video instead of 12fps wouldn't be a biggie, whereas lacking entire features, such as games, voice chat etc are pretty gaping holes.)
  20. macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2003
    As I haven't researched it for a while, are there any feature similar alternatives to MSN on the Mac that communicate seamlessly with MSN users and use an MSN account?

My daughter is a power user of Mac MSN and it gives me great pleasure that a 12 year old who complained bitterly aged 10 that dad had got her Mac (mainly because she didn't have the same MSN as her friends) now abhors using windows at shool:D
  21. JDN
    macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}

Does this mean there is a better version of Skpe video for Mac than BETA version Im using that and its sketchy at the best of times.
  22. macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    I'm using Beta 2 and the functionality is pretty nice, although the sound and video bugs are still around. That's why it's beta.
  23. macrumors member

Sep 25, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    aMSN for one... Stable, flexible, full featured and still being updated regularly - which means new features keep coming. :) So yes, the previous poster was quite right that there are some great alternatives which don't necessarily imply a loss of functionnality.
  24. macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
    come on Microsoft, macs got Microsoft word first, so WHY NOT [a good version of] MSN MESSENGER!!!!!!!:mad:
  25. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I think that's a little crazy to turn back because of that but I can understand it. People I know overuse the graphic text and other ridiculous features of MSN Messenger that aren't in the Mac version. I know that because I see all of it using Mercury Messenger. It also doesn't lose communication with the servers as much as the official MSN client does.

I suspect that it wouldn't take that much, especially since there is an open source library they would probably steal for their own use that already works with Mac-compatible webcams.

What little they're adding should take no more than a couple of months with testing, though the Yahoo! Messenger interoperability may take more effort. I'd think they probably wrote it so that they could upgrade their own messaging protocol at a moment's notice.

I think part of the thing is that Microsoft enjoys making people jump and flinch and puke.