Messenger:Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pojo, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Pojo macrumors newbie

Do you think it'll ever be able to use webcam with other PC MSN users? If so any time soon?

I really hope it does because when I had a PC I used my webcam alot. I tried Mercury and aMsn but they pretty much suck.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think we will, but it'll be when the next BIG feature comes. I have adium, and use aMSN when I need video.

3. Sam0r macrumors regular

Microsoft are currently merging the old protocal with the new "Live" protocal, when this is complete, Messenger:Mac will be upgraded with a/v support.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes, thats what the Microsoft Mac Business Unit would have you believe.

5. Sam0r macrumors regular

6. Pojo thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea when this will be?

7. Sam0r macrumors regular

8. Pojo thread starter macrumors newbie

lmao, a year and a half to make msn for mac video and audio compatible? thats a joke.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It took 5 years to release SP3...sorry, I mean Vista.

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Mercury Messenger is still more reliable than MSN/Microsoft Messenger and it's getting plenty of attention from the developer.

It may not work as well as you expect but compared to the alternatives, it's not so bad.

It's been said that the next version of Microsoft Messenger will include video and audio but that could be a year or more. I also wouldn't expect it to be reliable at all, as the current version has trouble without anything new added.

12. Pojo thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, shows how crap windows/microsoft really is.

13. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I'm just looking forward to Adium supporting Video Chat.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Me too

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But videoconferencing is slow going...:(

B, now that you saw what Yahoo and MS meant by Yahoo/Windows Live integration, are you as unimpressed as I am? I know you were hoping you'd be able to use Y! Messenger to overcome this issue....

Realistically, MSN:Mac is not getting videoconferencing anytime before late, late 2007 (or 2008). And Adium is not getting it before 2008 either. So... meh. If you have an Intel-based Mac, you can boot XP or Vista. Otherwise... yeah, encourage people to use Skype, etc. :(

16. Sam0r macrumors regular

Messenger:Mac will get that looooong before Adium does.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Pourquoi?

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Look at Adium's milestone calendar... They have publicly and clearly stated that they are not working independently of libgaim / Google summer of code on videoconferencing, but rather are waiting for libgaim to deliver the core elements. They have an active development calendar that pushes them quite a ways into the future of other milestones unrelated to video. :(

They make a great product. I love it. 1.0 rocks my face off. But it's not going to have video any time soon.

19. Sam0r macrumors regular

What the previous poster said.

I have to be honest, I love Adiums interface, but its just not for me. The official client has more features and seems more stable.

I always used to love adium before MSN 6 came out, since then I've been using it mainly because of the iTunes integration and the ability to make my own emoticons (Its fun.).

Most of the features of adium never really worked properly for me, and it was pretty slow in some areas.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately, the lowest common denominator between Yahoo! and MSN isn't much. They're making Skype's degraded video look promising.

I'm not saying that Mercury Messenger is the greatest but it works reliably. Apparently, the real time capture speed isn't all that great for the iMovie library and it just goes more slowly with Mercury. More slowly, Mercury--that doesn't sound right. The messenger of the gods was the fastest.

21. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

why..

why cant there be some way for us to sign into msn with ichat? that would make things simpler.:rolleyes:

22. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I'd love it if this were a feature in Leopard

23. Lacasse macrumors member

I thought Microsoft publicly stated that they canned MSN development for mac a few years ago?

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Close, but you have a couple of things mixed up... I think this overview is accurate:

Mac Versions
    • Microsoft Office - Alive and well, update due late 2007 or 2008 to be a stablemate to Office 2007 for Vista.
    • Messenger - Now no longer called MSN Messenger on Windows (Windows Live Messenger). Mac version most recently updated circa Oct 06. New version very loosely promised in the future to allow for video conferencing and full Windows Live support (because some core technologies changed in the transition from MSN Messenger to Windows Live).
    • MSN - think that, if Windows Live Messenger is analagous to AIM, MSN is analagous to AOL itself -- it's a front-end / service for internet connectivity, not a messenger. MSN development was specialized for Internet Explorer: Mac; that is over. This is probably what you read about.
    • Internet Explorer - Again, IE: Mac itself is also dead, and MS officially endorses use of Safari on Macs.
    • WMP - WMP was last updated with series 9. WMP: Mac is now also dead, and Microsoft reached an agreement to distribute the Flip4Mac Windows Media compatibility components for free; these components allow Windows Media to be played inside Quicktime. This is considered the official solution at this time for using Windows Media on a Mac. However, it does not generally support files that will only run on WMP10 on PCs -- but nothing else besides WMP10 does, either.

Help?

25. Sam0r macrumors regular

You can, using jabber, but its text only.