Messenger-style or Backpack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by goodknight411, Jul 1, 2004.

1. goodknight411 macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    MiddlaNowhere, Arkansas
    I'm looking to buy a Crumpler bag for my new ;) 15" PB.
    Is a backpack style or a messenger style bag better? I travel occasionaly, but will mostly use the bag for school (PB, a few books, ect.) I'm short and am worried about getting a bag that is too big for me.
    Are messenger bags harder on your body (neck/shoulder ache, ect?) than a backpack?
    Thanks for replys in advance.
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I love backpack-style, even though this is the first time I've had one. But I have a 12". It fits very nicely between the shoulders. Not as sure about a 15" -- although it wouldn't fit in the sleeve in my pack, the sleeve is narrower than the interior of the largest compartment (in which it rests) so there probably would be room for a 15".

BTW, the bag I have is a samsonite bag that cost about $40...I need to look for a designer backpack. ;)
  3. ezekel macrumors regular

Jun 4, 2004
    Royal Oak
    messenger bags do cause more strain on ur shoulders due to the bag laying across or on 1 shoulder where as a backpack shares the weight on both..

but i use a messenger bag with my 12" pb with a book or 2 but thats just me :D
  4. chiiyo macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm a not-so-fit girl, and I have both a backpack and a messenger bag that I use to carry my 12" PB, so I can tell you, I prefer my backpack. I'm a little biased here because my messenger bag can't fit anything else after I put my PB in, whilst my backpack is big enough to fit a file or two, but I find that the messenger bag system does put quite a bit of strain on your shoulder, even if you use one with a subsidiary strap system (the kind that straps across your chest to the main strap). My suggestion is get a backpack with very good contour support, something like Deuter's aircomfort, you'd be glad for the extra support. Backpacks also tend to be more padded at the back than your normal messenger bag is, so keep that in mind.

The flip side is, when I get tired on one shoulder for my messenger bag, I at least have the option to switch sides. When I get tired with my backpack, I still have to carry it on both my shoulders.

Oh, and if you're short, and you have a 15"... messenger bags that fit the 15" might be too big for your body size. If you carry the messenger bag the way it is meant to be carried, a.k.a., diagonally across your back, a big bag would stick out like uneven wings... and it really looks weird... so try out your messenger bag first before buying.
  5. Kreger macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2004

timbuk2 bags are good, i give them some really good props for making a very nice, sturdy, bomb-proof bag. i have the medium, ocho, left handed with a divider, it fits my ibook 12" a pair of socks, shirt, tie and pants, plus all manner of small computer dongles, headphones discs a book or two lunch and a nalgene water bottle with no problems, can get a little worn shoulder if you take the stairs, but they make a pad, i have had backpacks for years and ill keep my timbuk2

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  7. goodknight411 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    MiddlaNowhere, Arkansas
    Thanks for all the replys. I think i will be getting a backpack. Probably the Crumpler. :)
  8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    I got an incase backpack for my 15" PB G4. It is really nice and sleek. Very good for the person on the go. However if you like to carry alot of extras it probably isn't for you cause it is kinda of small and form fitting. I carry the power supply a mouse and sometimes my ipod in it. That's about it...Great if you bike though and want to carry your laptop with you. the laptop site is closed temprarily but you can see a pic of it. I bought it at the local apple store.
  9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    id get a backpack if i were you...which you said ur getting i don't know why i even bothered posting this.

that said, i love my messenger bag...but i'm 5'10, 200 lbs so i could really care less if it causes more strain, it's so light anyways.
  10. Apple //e macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2003
    if you dont ride a bike, dont get a messenger bag.