Messenger type bag for 17" MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dazzla76, Jun 11, 2006.

1. dazzla76 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i've just ordered myself a 17" Mac Book Pro. 2 weeks for delivery :(

Before it comes i want to get a bag for it. Does anyone have any recommendations for shoulder bags for it? I've seen the Crumpler "Sticky Date" can hold it. Are Crumpler bags any good? or should i be looking at other makes?

Thanks in advance guys

Dazzla

2. nicoritschel macrumors regular

I too have the same question. I just ordered mine last night. I ordered it from amazon, though. No tax, and it ships on monday :cool:

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. coal macrumors regular

coal

There are a variety of messenger bag manufacturers who have lines of bags that will be suitable to carry a 17" MBP.

Personally, I would stay away from Timbuktu due to some minor quality control issues and a rather substandard manufacturing policy.

There are still some companies around that hand sew all of their bags and do so domestically (well if you're in the United States).

Some of my favorites:

BaileyWorks out of New Hampshire:
    http://www.baileyworks.com/

Courierware out of Boston:
    http://www.courierbags.com/

r.e.load out of Philadelphia:
    http://www.reloadbags.com/
    (check out the executive under "everyday bags"!)

With all of these companies, you can pick a bag and adjust it to your specifications then they will manufacture it directly for you. This is NOT like buying off of a rack! They all list sizes so you can find something suitable. If you have any specific questions, give one of them a call!

Also, for reference, here is a list of many messenger bag manufacturers from all over the world:

http://www.messengers.org/resources/bags.html

Good luck!

5. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I like Crumpler bags but their website is confusing. haha.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Substandard policy? When did that come about?

7. coal macrumors regular

coal

It began as soon as Timbuk2 began outsourcing some of their production to China.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Is there any evidence of this? (actual QC falloff, or is it just redneck xenophobia as usual)

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I gave up, couldn't find one I liked, now I use a really big briefcase. :p

10. coal macrumors regular

coal

Oh that's very witty!
    You must be so proud of yourself?

(I'm done with this thread.)

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Timbuk2 definitely outsources some of their bag manufacturing to China, some messenger bags are still made in San Fran. Crumpler outsources their bags and also uses cheap materials, I do not recommend them. Crumpler is a joke now. Reload makes impressive bags and my favorite is Chrome. Here is my thread on my new Chrome bag http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207392

Chrome makes a padded sleeve to fit the MBP.

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes I think I resorted to it because especially for many Americans and to a lesser extent, Europeans the fact that things are made in China automatically ramps down the quality regardless of the actual item. I'm asking for evidence of the fact that outsourcing has lead to a decrease in quality for what these guys make, not if it's made in China. When you outsource, if you want to preserve the quality of your goods you run the QC process. e.g. Few are complaining about the fit and finish of the millions of iPods sold so far. I am thinking that any manufacturer with an established name would do that. I'm not arguing for or against the ethics or other factors of manufacturing in China - businesses do what they can to stay in business.

The very fact that while chiding me you would bring up an article which merely mentions that manufacture has moved to China also indicates the way YOU think.

14. KlimberKlown macrumors newbie

You believe QC isn't affected by ramping up production xX amount, in a factory far far away? Rather than (as timbuk once did) having all of your raw materials drop shipped to and constructed in a factory below your sales office?

Well T2 customers, through the years, have seen it's quality drop. Check anywhere you want, messengers that used the bags since one of their own formed the company almost 2 decades ago have seen it's quality drop and only those bound by financial considerations use timbuk products anymore (it's easy to get a free one from a friend).

timbuk also claims to make the bags in SF still, but they do all sub-assembly off-shore, the only sewing going on in SF is stiching together the 3 panels so you can think you have a custom bag.

The prices have remained consistent at least. timbuk bags are cheap. However the price remained the same despite the shift off-shore.

And china is better than vietnam, where crumpler has their stuff made. better for quality and worker conditions if your concern is either, definitely pick timbuk instead of crumpler, crumpler uses fake & inferior Cordura copies for fabric, frays easy. They don't use the heavy thread that other use either, no need, since the fabric will fray before the cheap stiching gives out.

basically, among messenger bags, there have always been "messenger style" bags that call themselves messenger bags. Those are tote bags, they don't function well enough to be dependable, and never have even the basic features, like waterproofing (Crumpler isnt waterproof anymore, timbuk still is somewhat). Messengers wouldn't use them to keep an envelope dry, you want to keep a powerbook dry with that crap?

If that's what you want, goto "Ebags" and get a polyester satchel every 3 months.

The best construction techniques, the best materials, the most innovative designs, have always come from the street, tested there before you can buy it. Built in small workshops by people who invest themselves, not their money, into the product.

Timbuk started that way, stayed the course for years, Crumpler was that way for a few months, both have taken the Mcdonalds approach now, and it shows.

So, if you want a bag the is as tough as the job it does, to protect your goods, go for one of the small makers. for non-messengers these bags last literally forever. They aren't all in North America, there is one in Hungary that is making quality bags, and in Germany. The best are all Canadian for some reason. PAC is undisputedly the best toughness-wise, its closest rivals, actually they are friends, are Push the Envelope and Under the Weather. REload is really really good too. Zo is hard to get, and aren't as comfortable, haven't changed in 20 years, but his designs paved the way for the innovators. Chrome makes good standard bags (just outside of Denver, only the store is in SF), but they fray around the area where strap becomes bag, and use a less sturdy inner liner.

If you want something for status, again, pick from among the custom builders. If you want to save your money, pick from among the custom builders, they cost twice as much as a timbuk but will last much much longer and look better doing it. (Crumpler has prices to match the custom builders, but don't even use labour or materials on par with timbuk, according to messengers they last 6 months or so, really sad)

If you want comfort, pick from the custom builders, timbuk uses the same design it started with, which involves a straight, un-angled strap, no good for a bag designed at an angle.

If you want to avoid being percieved as anything but sheep, find flaws that got past the inspectors, find your strap falling off after a year (perfect if you like to get a new one every year) and help fill the landfills with consumercrap, by all means invest in a timbuk or crumpler.

They aren't messenger bags anymore. Guess who decides that? Messengers. It isn't a loyalty thing, it isn't a fashion thing, they only care if it works, many care about labour issues and trade issues just like anyone else, but when it comes time to go to work monday morning, they use what works best.

This subject is actually a great microcosm for the debates it always generates. Nike vs. the cobbler on the corner. Decide for yourself. For many products, you don't get a choice anymore. I had a friend write a great paper on it, the only thing a classmate ever wrote in that class that I enjoyed reading. He was going to blog it but, well, doesn't blog! he's weird

Don't believe me? Ask google to tell you what messengers think, the only ones that give timbuk more than a "used to be standard, no longer" rating have simply never used anything else, and have a pile of old timbuks to prove it.

the list at messengers.org has all the custom makers, as well as timbuk and crumpler.

15. KlimberKlown macrumors newbie

Oh, and something else. If you don't want a custom bag or even one of teh standard bags offered by the custom makers, but don't want to buy a peice of crap from Ebags or Dealtime, try http://www.tombihn.com

They aren't real messenger bags, they aren't anywhere near as tough as the bagmakers on messengers.org but they inexpensive, and are made in factories that gaurantee proper compensation to workers. These are tote bags, despite the messenger bag label they sport.

"Tom Bihn, not just making bags, making jobs"

Another company proving that not everyone has decided they can't do it themselves.

16. Sox macrumors regular

17. KlimberKlown macrumors newbie

True that, they have no messenger bags to offer, no custom bags, but the "Cargo Bag" is an awesome satchel! Looks more "corporate" too if you're going to be using it to get your powerbook (or your ibook, you poor thing) to the office and back.

18. ikonq macrumors member

Get a 17" School Hymn from Crumpler and a "The Complete Seed". If not that get the "The Dreadful Embarassment".

The complete seed is more of a messenger bag than the the dreadful embarassment which has a specified laptop compartment. I'd go a School Hymn (or Booq Vyper or something) just for a wee bit of extra protection. Worth it in the long run...

19. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i love my crumpler photobackpack. and i would happily order a messenger bag for my 17" powerbook.
    my photobackpack the "karachi outpost" can hold most of my gear (should i want it to )
    but for a given day, i take 1 body, a couple lenses, my laptop, necessary cables, chargers, batteries, etc etc. and it all fits in the backpack with ease. and it has given me no troubles what so ever about quality. it goes with me EVERYWHERE.

I use a tenba shoulder bag at the moment, i dont mind it, but i dont prefer it. i dont feel it offers much ( if any ) protection for my investment. I am currently looking to replace it with a crumpler shoulder bag. i will use the 17" sleeve that came with my backpack, and put it into a shoulder bag for extra protection.

i have heard crumpler is not what they use to be? but lets be honest. how many companies dont outsource anymore? ( yes there are some, but not many) its a sad truth these days, but something we are all going to have to live with unfortunately.
    that being said, i have nothing but love for my crumpler bag, and i would happily recommend them as a company :).

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I can't speak for your other points... but I got a Timbuk2 cargo tote (which on their site, they claim is their messenger w/ the top chopped off) and it's most definitely waterproof.

I poured a bottle of water on top (there's a zipper) and nothiing got in. (I wanted to test whether or not it was waterproof.) Makes me glad that my iBook sleeve is also Timbuk2 and made from that same waterproof material. My $0.02.

I never understood the way tons of people on MR and in person recommend Timbuk2-- until I got one. Even though it's heavier than I'd like, I love using that bag. It really is handy, and durable, and waterproof (and cute).

21. wronski macrumors 6502

22. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

after much thought and reading through lots of websites, i decided to get a custom bag instead ( whenver i go through with getting one )

im interested in the Civilian from REload with a laptop sleeve.

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Crumpler definitely aren't aiming for the courier market. They make in Vietnam? Interesting. But generally Timbuk2's rep seems to be safe with people who I know (I used to design urban-specific MTB's a decade before it was an acknowledged concept... we used to give out long-term testers along with associated gear to couriers). I'm out of that business now but Timbuk2's name still gets thrown around from the guys I talk to.

I don't doubt that the small guys make just as good a bag if not better but I don't subscribe to the same view that you do, out of personal or close-to-personal experience. However, like you probably from the way you write, I patronise custom shops for a lot of my needs. I have turned to Swaine Adeney for a laptop pouch and headphone bag for example. Having said that though I have two Crumpler bags which have fared perfectly well for fairly rough use when I'm casually dressed.

It's just that among the readily available stuff, Crumpler, Timbuk2 and probably some others you'll disparage seems quite decent to me.