Metal 23" ACD w dead FW port?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Xenious, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I think I've lost one of the firewire ports on my metal 23" acd. At one point my ipod stopped connecting so I just switched FW ports and did not think anything of it. Tonight I got an iSight (so I need 2 ports) and it would power up (green light) but no data would come through. So I switched it to the other FW port on the monitor and it works fine. I the plugged my iPod into the "bad" port and it charges fine but the computer never sees it as mounted.

Any software fix ideas? I may just live with it if it comes down to a hardware failure and having to send my display in (thats a lot of pain and time without the display for a lousy port). Since it is getting power it seems like the connection is solid.

Thanks for any tips...
    -jim

Update: When I have anything plugged into this "bad" port, System Profile shows "No Information Found." When I unplug the device from the "bad" port it shows "Firewire Bus."

When something is plugged into both ports at the same time, only the "bad" one doesn't work.

2. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked the physical port and it looks fine. The plug itself is not loose and all the pins look good.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

You've gone through all the steps I would have gone through to diagnose the problem. Sounds like you have a bad port. It is up to you to decide if it worth it to have it shipped back to Apple to fix. If it were me, I would sent it back. If i had that screen and an iPod and iSight, it would be a shame to not have them plugged into it so save space and ports.