Metal Balls in my Hard Drive!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mr. Monsieur, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

ALL RIGHT! This has happened one too many times...I keep hearing what sounds like two metal balls hitting one another in the bottom left corner of my nearly brand new iBook! Is this normal? It doesn't happen too often...once every few hours, perhaps...but it is a bit annoying...also, if the table is slightly rocked, it makes the sound again. Any thoughts? :confused:

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Metal balls mean that the hard drive is going through difficulties, it may mean it's going to die this afternoon, it may mean it will die in 2 years, just make periodic backups and you should be okay.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

If you're still under warranty, have Apple check it out. If you're out of warranty, keep good backups. It sounds like the drive is on the way out.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

If it's a hum, the drive is spinning up, metal balls sound like the drive is having mechanical issues.

6. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Ball bearings, anyone?

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Which when functioning correctly are silent...

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

Does the noise somewhat sound like a camera shutter? If so, many of us experience that.

9. ShaggyLR macrumors member

The HD on my iBook G4 "click" a few times a day. I does sound a bit like a camera shutter, but it simply sounds like a "click". If it's not constant, is it alright?

10. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

yikes!

when you say 'difficulties' do you mean at that moment, as it runs an app? or as in a mid-life crisis? Maybe I'm in denial, but it does only happen rarely...(not being in denial...I mean the metal ball phenomenon)

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

12. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Yikes again! Those are scary sounds! It sounded a bit like the first one...but mine only makes one sound, perhaps, and then there is nothing for a few hours...it never repeats itself, nor is it so violent...

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Mine sounds like a bad head, specifically #1. Although it only click 2 or 3 times, and isn't so noisey.

14. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

latest...sigh...revelation

I just realized that there is also, often, a slight sound of 'the balls' when I type quickly...I noticed it when I first got the iBook...but figured it was just something I'd have to live with (anyone else get this sound?...it's very faint, but now that I'm listening for it, it is strangely deafening)...like the rattly mouse clicker (anyone else have one of these?)...it didn't make me regret not getting a PB, but a rotten hard drive...*that* would make me regret it! (of course, I suppose it's not really in iBook vs. PB issue?!) :eek:
    In any case, I'm keeping my applecare package that came with the iBook (I was considering selling it!)

15. dracoleb macrumors member

you know, one of those sounds would be awesome to set up as a startup sound on one of my friends computers. :D

16. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

17. BaDBoY macrumors member

doesnt sound too good.. i dont want my laptop going "clack clack" knowing somethin is being "thrown" around.