Metal Cocoa Apps - No Window Buttons

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by benixau, Mar 14, 2003.

1. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

As you can see from the pic that should be below, all of my cocoa metal apps have no close, minimize, or grow(zoom) buttons.

I cannot archive and re-install as i do not have enough disk space.

I have tried replacing the cocoa.framework file

i have tried re-installing the apps

i have tried trashing my prefs, system wide from a >console login

i am out of ideas. anyone? please ... i cannot afford to loose all of my information just for this. i know there must be an answer out there.

ps. this only occured once i installed the 10.2.4 update. My dad and bro have instaled with no problems, what went wrong.

2. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

the picture now

here is the picture of my calculator with now window buttons

Attached Files:

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Do you use a theme? If you do, that is the problem... download Metallifizer to disable the metal appearance in these apps... if you want to keep the metal appearance, you would have to return to Aqua.

irmongoose

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Metal Cocoa Apps - No Window Buttons

If you ask me, this is your perfect opportunity to do just that. Backup everything onto another computer, a cd, etc. You can zip things up to conserve space. Make sure you get everything in your User folders, too.

Look at it this way. If you don't have a backup of your data and more stuff goes wrong, you might be left in a situation where you can't get ANY of your data back. Backups--especially of critical files--are, well, critical. This is your forced opportunity to do so.

Then, once everything is backed up, you don't need to archive everything. Just reinstall.

Unless you don't have access to a cd burner or another computer, or you've pirated all of your software or something, backing up and reinstalling is ALWAYS an option.

Taft

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Try locating all OSX preference Files and trash them, restart, and all should be fine, but if not...

Reinstall 10.2 over on the existing drive, just as is, and either do a Clean Install (Like the OS9 Clean install, new Library and System Folders) or just install over the existing folders). That should repair the problem.

TEG

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup Backup

Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall Reinstall

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

if you're running a theme, make sure that you have a 10.2.3 compatible theme. minor changes in the OS have caused my widgets to dissappear. they came back after i defaulted to aqua and installed a 10.2.3 theme.

best of luck

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As an aside, do a lot of Mac users customise things with skinning and such?

9. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

I am a povo high school student and can not afford any of the feasible backup solutions. I have only my lovely powermac and no other computers for miles.

I do not like the sound of a clean install. It sounds like windows "repair" which has left scars in my memory. It cleaned out important files and broke all of my apps (win2k).

And, i have never run a theme. All i do is use the graphite theme supplied by apple. I have tried switching back to the blue theme but have had no success.

I would like to trust the clean intstall option but am a little nervous. I would also like to get another hdd (RAID0) but cannot afford to do so.

Thanx for the help so far

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can't save files to CD-R? At least, drag the files under your home folder onto a CD-R and burn it, if you've the drive for it.

11. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

I cannot easily save 42GB of data to CD-Rs.

Also, if i was to do that here in australia, it would be cheaper for me to get DVDs ($6 per DVD vs $1 per CD-R). And, i cannot really afford that right now (sad aint it?).

I need preferably a software ONLY solution that is free. PS, if i was to go via the DVD or CD-R route than i would probably be better off getting another HDD and using CCCloner.

Please, computer hardware is expensive for a student in Australia. Thanx for the help so far.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Huh? Graphite/Blue theme? This is an OS9 option. I thought you stated you were using 10.2.4? There are no theme options in OSX if there are you are using a theme app of some sort.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I too have 45 gigs of data on my computer but when I recently did a backup I found there was only about 10 gigs that I actually needed to backup. All the rest was either apps and data that the OSX install disks install or programs that I had the original install disks for.

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

You outta your mind, Bandit? System Prefs> General>Appearance. Graphite/Blue.

:rolleyes:

irmongoose

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i think he might have meant the 'general' prefpane where you can switch from aqua to graphite. i guess it could be considered a theme change-- but nothing to cause the probs he's having.

16. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

well try to back up sOME files to cd like the big ones. free up some space and do an archive install. however your really pushing it by not backing up your important data (if you have any) so do it knowing that your taking a risk.
    just remember, dont do any reinstall that erases the data on your drive, you'll lose everything.

i dont believe archive install deletes any files except the system.

i had some interface issues, the buttons in the metalized apps. like the calculator, itunes, ichat wouldnt show up...finally i got tired of having to guess where the buttons were so i did a reformat reinstall. but i think an archive install will work just the same.

good luck. im sure you could just burn like ten cd's and have enough space for the installation.

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sorry I hardly consider that a theme change. As with the OS9 appearance control panel. All that does in OSX is change the color of the buttons. I got hung up on the part that benixau referred to the button colors as a theme change.

18. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

ok ive repaired disk permissions 1milion times (ok maybe only 7 but still) i have repaired them and the disk from a CD boot.

My home folder is about 31GB which is still impractical for CD-R. Also alot of my apps have been heavily customised (pref hacks, changing images). The thing is they all qworked good on X.2.3. It is hard to explain but i dont really want to have to uninstall my apps. Alot of them are freeware and that is annoying. Besides ? there has to be a fix.

Also i call the "button switching" theming because it, along with my desktop background (ref. post no.1) make my machine look totaly different to the root user which is still in lala land (blue theme).

oh, and to help here are my specs (i forgot, sorry):

PMac MDD2002 DP 867 (o/c 1G through OF)
    256MB DDR PC2700 Apple RAM
    80GB IBM Deskstar (Apple Drive)
    64MB ATi Radeon 9000
    SuperDrive (2x DVD-R)
    No Airport
    Very Very Loud Fan (Standard Apple Fan) ;)

19. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

copied from my response to an earlier thread regarding this...

You need to download the 10.2.3 installer. (or 10.2.4) Open it up and look for a file called HIToolbox.rsrc. Then,

sudo cp HIToolbox.rsrc /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources

What happens is that the new 'flat' buttons have a different resource ID, and it doesn't exist in the old HIToolbox file, so they don't show.

Yes, this happened to me. Yes, I had to do this to get the buttons back. No, I don't run themes anymore.

20. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

@Apple][Forever:

maybe im an idiot but i cannot for the life of me and my sanity find that file. i ahve looked and looked.

any ideas? can i copy the file from my dads pmac (10.2.4) or my bros eMac (10.2.4)? They both have their cocoa window buttons working.

Please note that you have referenced the carbon files, not cocoa. Plase ensure that this is correct

21. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

i managed to get the file and ?
    it didnt work. I got no where. i tried everything. nothing.

thanx ut i need more ideas. i have a feeling Apple][Forever is on the fight track. Thanx. PS. our local apple centre (not store i.e. reseller) knows jack ***** when it comes to macs. He doesnt even know what SMB is. looser.

22. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

hey benxiau,

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific about how to get the file out of the 10.2.3 installer, but since you have another mac, it makes life easier.

Once you got the file, you will have to copy it to the right place using the sudo command in the terminal, since it won't let you place it there yourself. Then, restart. This *SHOULD* do it (muhahahahaha). You might want to run a repair permissions right afterwards.

You MUST get the HIToolbox file from a 10.2.3 or 10.2.4 mac.

23. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Trut me reinstalling (Not a Clean Install) should fix your window problems. If not throw away all of your preference files, restart, and all should work.

TEG

24. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

man. i would of backed up some random pictures or mp3's to make room....did an archive and install and would have put this to rest days ago...anyway, i cant offer you any advice other than whats been said already, i think your waisting your time on this. wont an archive install keep all your apps and documents in your home folder? just back up four gigs to free up some space, im sure you can run the installer if you did that. it probably just needs a couple extra gigs to run.

oh well, peace and good luck