Metal finish coming off MBP HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by herbcheck, Jan 4, 2007.

1. herbcheck macrumors member

Hello every1 i have a fairly old MBP i bought as soon as they came out that is 1.83 ghz. It is good until now the metal finish is coming off?? has this happened to any one else???? I take great care of it and clean it often. Did i wear it off? Will it be cover by my apple care or will then just replace the case. If they do my computer is obsolete so what ill happen??

Thanks included is pics

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

That particular piece of the MBP case is actually painted plastic. Its probably worth a visit to your local genius, but actually getting cosmetic repairs has been hit or miss (MB discoloring was an exception).

3. herbcheck thread starter macrumors member

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

5. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Whichever it is (plastic / alu), it definitely looks painted. I hope to use my 15" MBP for more mobile use, so perhaps it will come off for me eventually so I can work out what it is. I rarely use the 17" off a stand + external keyb/mouse so it is still cosmetically near-perfect. Never underestimate the abrasive power of the human finger... although well, Apple should have.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The REALLY wierd thing is, the same thing has happened on my MacBook Pro in exactly the same place.

I think it is possibly a manufacturing fault...

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Others have had the same problem as you. You should be able to get it replaced without a hassle. Thankfully mine hasn't done that yet.

9. NJuul macrumors 6502

Freakish...
    Mine is showing early signs of that too, just noticed it a few days ago. Right in the same place. Same model MBP, from late february.

10. simon-says macrumors regular

My Powerbook did the same thing. It is covered under AppleCare. I've called Apple about it and they said I would have to pay for the repairs due to the fact that it is basically "wear and tear". I rather get something to cover it up because it will just happen again if it were replaced. I've been looking at trying to find a silver vinyl sticker or something, as long as it's not tacky looking.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Interesting. I've just taken a much closer peek at my MBP in an oblique light, and the same area is showing slightly noticeable signs of the paint starting to 'lift'.

As I said before, because I work with an external keyboard most of the time on this Mac I doubt I've spent any more than ten working days in total actually sitting in front of the unit itself (i.e. somewhere in the region of 10 x 2 hours of actually putting my hands on the keyboard) since I got it 8 months ago. At my rate I'll probably have the same problem as you to the same extent about 18 months down the line.

Like every other problem I've experienced with every Apple Computer product this year apart from outright failures and DOAs, it seems to be a case of inadequate engineering sense in the design process, or a disconnect between what the design team wanted and what the production team can achieve in real life. Many of my other non-Apple laptops have an overly polished look on and around the keyboard due to heavy use, but none have peeled - because it's ridiculous to put anything that is overtly prone to abrasion anywhere near the keyboard area, let alone the space key.

Perhaps Apple should take a leaf out from Dell's RoadReady program for the Latitudes... maybe if they could initially achieve CasualuseReady for a start, that would be nice.

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Maybe its changing to reflect Leopard? You know, no more brushed metal. Is it luminous underneath?

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Only when it's on fire ;)