Metal Gear Solid 1 (for original Playstation)

Discussion in 'Games' started by mraila, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mraila macrumors member

Every few years I get the urge to go back and play the first Metal Gear Solid for PS1. Probably my favorite console game ever. MGS2 was horrible - more of a movie than a game. So disappointed...

Any thoughts on the original MGS for PS1 or MGS2 for PS2?

Also, I was looking for a copy on ebay (I'll have to play it on a PS2 this time around) and it seems many of the ones for sale are coming in 2-disc cases. I don't remember this game living on 2 discs. Is my memory dying?

here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sealed-Meta...231735816QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

MGS1 definitely came in a 2-disc case for me. Don't remember if the game itself was 2 discs, but the case was a 2-discer.

3. not28 macrumors member

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It is a two disc game. You should also check out Twin Snakes for Gamecube if you like MGS. It's pretty much MGS 1 with the feel of MGS 2.

jon

5. Melkor macrumors 6502

Ya I've played that game so much. Great game. Definatly 2 disc's btw.

How did you hate MGS2 so much? Try finishing it on european extreme and you will be intertained for a while ;)

Btw, IMHO MGS3 is the best out of all of them. At first I was kinda pissed cause there's no radar, but once you get used to it, the fact that it isn't there adds a whole new dimension to the game.

It's definatly my second favourite games serious ever. Finaly Fantasy being my favourite. Resident Evil coming in 3rd.

BTW I have a sililar question to the threadstarters:

I recently started playing FFVIII again and I found out that my disc one is scratched :( . Anyone know where I could buy this game first hand? The european version that is.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

MGS was the first game I ever preordered. Since then, I've preordered 2 and 3. I love all the of them. 2 is the worst, but it is till one of my top 5 games of all time. I've completed each one at least 10 times. I've completed 1 about 30 or 40 times. I just love it.

7. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Funny, I was reorganizing and I found my copy of Metal Gear Solid - sold the Playstation and everything else, but I kept the game...it was just too good to let go.

8. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

I would not suggest buying a gamecube just to play MGS1 (twin snakes), but if you plan to buy a nintendo revolution, I am assuming this game will play on that machine as well. ;)

Hideo Kojima seems to have a good relationship with Shigeru Miyamoto & Nintendo. It may be possible for future MGS developement for nintendo. (OK that is a stretch)

9. mraila thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all for contributing to my thread.

The reason I hated MGS2 is because I soooo looked forward to it after loving MGS. Then when it finally came out - I don't kow, maybe I'm the only one that felt this way - but it seemed like you would PLAY the game for about 5 minutes and then WATCH the game for about 20 minutes. This cycle kept repeating. Basically, to me it was a movie, not a game.

As for MGS3 (is that the one called "Snake Eater?")- I've never played it. Guess I gave up on the franchise after being so disappointed by MGS2...

Been thinking about picking up World of Warcraft. Is it worth it? I usually won't pay $50 for a game, let alone $50 + $15 per month, but it seems to be something really special.

??

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Awesome game. You should check it out. They added so many things such as capturing and/or killing animals for food. There is this one boss fight when you dual it out with a snipper in a fairly large location with many hiding spots. Best damn boss fight in any game ever. MGS3 is actually a prequel to the original MG.

11. mraila thread starter macrumors member

Sounds cool, grapes911.
    I remember the sniper fight in MGS as a highlight.
    Maybe I'll check it out...

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Yeah it is good better than the seccond not as good as the first but still really cool.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, MGS was indeed a 2-disc game. One of my favorite games of all time, actually, and I agree - MGS2 was a disappointment - it lost the spirit, I felt, of what made MGS so great. Haven't played MGS3 yet, although I heard it's better, and the trailer for MGS4 looks spectacular, however so did the trailer for MGS2 at the time... :eek: ;)

Definitely one of those classic games I would have no problems pulling out and playing again. :cool:

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only played the PSX demo of MGS so many years ago. Then I heard it was coming out on the cube so I waited... and waited... and got it! and loved it.

the storyline is everything. I couldn't play through MGS2 either. I tried that on PS2, no-sir. didn't like it. and again on the Xbox in Substance. I just can't get into it. as far as games go theres just no fun in there for me.

I'd try MGS3 but it seems too much like Splinter Cell. MGS4 looks good, but so did MGS2.

1 will forever be one of my greatest games.

15. Melkor macrumors 6502

MGS4!??!?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't know there was a trailer. Is it set before or after MGS2?

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I watched the trailer on IGN. Snake was one old mofo, didn't look like much of a hardass anymore.

jon

17. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats true he does look a bit of a soft touch, but you can bet he's hard as nails.....

The video looks stunning though, hope the game will be good,

SHadow

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Very true, Solid Snake will always be a hardass. I don't know if I can ever go back to MGS though, I've gotten so used to owning Splinter Cell.

jon

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

I loved that game, even though I never played it on the PSX. I owned the GC copy and that was a lot of fun. I really like the stealth action genre, though I find that I like Splinter Cell more than MSG.

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

One of the 4 PSX games that I have played over and over again.

- MGS
    - Castlevania SOTN
    - FF7
    - Star Ocean 2

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

David would kick Sam's ass in a fight. :p

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

well David is sort of relaxed with his extreme skill. Sam is a typical american super-proud hero. Sam would be all mouth, but David would win. ;)

I'm hoping. just hoping. that the PS3 will be my 2nd next-gen console and they release all the MGS games in one epic game. all in the right timeline. all with the same graphics engine. all on one blu-ray disc. that would be nice.

23. PharmD macrumors 6502

3 out of those are my favorite games ever. I will always buy a system that has Final Fantasy, Metal Gear or Castlevania 2D. In fact, I just bought a DS today to get Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. SOTN was so freaking awesome.