Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider claims that "dark grey" or "gunmetal" colored slim notebooks have been spotted at Apple campus.
Though noticeably thinner but otherwise similar in size to the company's 13-inch MacBooks, the notebook appeared to have a metallic sheen to it, which set it apart from the current black MacBook.

The report is reminiscent of a 9to5mac report that indicated that new MacBook enclosures made of black and silver aluminum had previously been spotted by their sources.

Rumors of a sub-notebook laptop have been building as we approach Macworld San Francisco. Our rumor roundup summarizes the predictions to date.

Article Link

LostPacket

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Canada, eh
Sounds promising, but I wouldn't call this a sub-notebook. Unless it's crazy light (i.e. 2 pounds).

I'm surprised they'd let this loose in the "wild" like that. Someone's getting canned.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
If they're moving the MacBooks to aluminum/metallic enclosures, what will they do with the MacBook Pros to set it apart?

Yeah I'm aware that there are other stuff that sets the MBPs apart, but traditionally Apple also separates the consumer/pro models with different enclosures (plastic as opposed to metallic)

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
On topic: If they're moving the MacBooks to aluminum/metallic enclosures, what will they do with the MacBook Pros to set it apart?

Yeah I'm aware that there are other stuff that sets the MBPs apart, but traditionally Apple also separates the consumer/pro models with different enclosures (plastic as opposed to metallic)

I think that apple has moved away from this tradition. The new iMac is not set apart with its enclosure in anyway.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Maybe it's because I'm desperately needing a MacPro, but every single time I see a Macbook rumor I grumble to myself like an old curmudgeon.

Trying to be an optimist - maybe the new MacPros will sport a gunmetal finish.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I'm intrigued what a "gun metal" finish could look like. If true, coming from Apple, I'm sure it will look very nice (might get some used to) and will get imitated by the rest of the industry.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
i hope this doesnt turn up untill macworld, cos i got a macbook pro to sell, and i would rather it still look current

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
These are the new macbooks.

They will be similar to the old ones, just new design a few maybe new features.

I hate to say it but I am of the opinion that there will not be a superportable on the market yet...just slimmer MacBooks...

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
If they're moving the MacBooks to aluminum/metallic enclosures, what will they do with the MacBook Pros to set it apart?

Something tells me that it'll be marketed as a MBP, just a smaller form factor :) They wouldn't release a "consumer laptop" with an aluminum enclosure... but, obviously, that's just my opinion :D

Jaymes

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
I'm claiming that I just saw the same computer being carried through Dairy Queen. It said Macbook Nano on it. I hope Appleinsider posts this, as it is TOTALLY legit. :eek:

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
a tablet is a silly idea in my opinion, you dont want anthing without a keyboard that is bigger than pocketable

Phish311

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
New Macbooks?

So i just got the new black macbook a few weeks ago but i guess there is a return policy that lets me take it back until the end of the year. Is there any logic to taking it back and waiting for these to come out or is that too big of a risk since no one seems to really know what is coming?

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
How many times are we going to rehash that new MacBooks are coming at Macworld? In other news, the sun will come up tomorrow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.