Metallica added to iTMS

Discussion in 'iPod' started by adam1185, Jul 24, 2006.

1. adam1185 macrumors regular

Looks like Metallica finally caved in and are allowing their music online!

Attached Files:

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Sort of a dupe post (as you can see here), but the other guy's screenshot looked like it was just an error, not the impending "added catalogue."

Anyway, there's nothing about Metallica that doesn't make me feel a little ill, so I'd rather they stay away from the ITMS and the entire music business. But if their presence helps the popularity of the ITMS, then all the better. It's just so satisfying to know they're not anti-MP3 when their wallets can benefit.

3. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Wait, who?

Oh, you mean that band whose entire catalogue I downloaded off of the internet dump trucks?

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

More importantly - they added Friends, Season One to the iTMS!!!!

But yeah - regardless of the band, the more the merrier!

5. ehayut macrumors member

I happen to like Metallica very much, and will be purchasing Garage Inc.

6. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

figures once they see the $$$$ they will go toward anything....still a great band though

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I already purchased Kill 'Em All with the bonus tracks and still don't have Garage Inc. I'll get that eventually.
    Metallica still rules for the work they have done and the contributions to the metal genre. No one can take that away, not even them. :cool:

8. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

LMFAO.
    I got them from the tubes.

Anyhow, Lars Ulrich is a douche.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What ever you want to think about Metallica, they single handedly brought illegal downloads to everyones attention and made it a big thing. That eventually led to iTunes so in theory you can thank Metallica.:rolleyes: Lars as the spokesman for the group didn't help their cause and while they were a more respected band before the Napster stuff, well as in respected the music was better before the napster stuff. You can't argue that there older stuff was good.

10. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

Are you kidding me?

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Before Lars opened his mouth nobody really new about Napster, They kind of made illegal downloading the cool thing to do.

12. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

Be that as it may (which I don't believe it is)
    Napster would have gotten big and stopped eventually, sans Ulrich whining about it.

And to me, Lars Ulrich whining and crying about music theft does not an iTunes make.

*shrug* We are getting off topic.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Time vs Metallica... winner... TIME!

I can finally get Master of Puppets again.
    Ah, that takes me back.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

when could you not be able to get it?

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Easily. Via iTMS. I don't care to get it any other way.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Call me old fashioned but I still like to buy CD's iTunes still is not as flexible as the actual CD, But I like to be able to burn to iTunes.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OK. You're "old fashioned".

I just bought my first CD in 2 years today. A disappointing new album from "Jurassic 5".

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

For the record I like to shop the Best Buy $10 or less bin, they put a lot of new releases on sale.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

While I abhor "Best Buy" as an oxymoron, at best.. you're correct. I just so happens that the new J5 album only cost me $6.99 there today. I can't believe I shopped there, I should kick my own ass.

20. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

when will ac/dc, kid rock, and other crack?
    or maybe i should say their labels crack.

21. ehayut macrumors member

I don't see how many of you complain about the Metallica vs Napster thing.

They were trying to stand for exactly what the grand majority of the people here currently stand for.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Good music cheap? I doubt that is what Metallica wanted, They are greedy and want everything, that is the reason they spoke out against Napster.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Some people support artists' rights apparently only as long as the artists don't try to interfere w/the people's "right" to acquire music w/o paying for it.

The fact that the same people who completely vilify the big five label's for ripping off artists support not paying the artists at all just strikes me as a bit hypocritical.

You would also think these same "artists' rights" people would support bands fighting back against their label's to try and get out of their sh*tty, unfair record deals but that doesn't seem to be the case either. If a band sues their label in hopes of getting more control over the music they make and a bigger cut of the music they sell they get labeled as greedy, corporate whores.

Lethal

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Used to be a casual Metallica fan. Didn't really like any of their new stuff. I kinda understood why they wanted to protect their music, but they were jerks about it. Used to be cool, about the music, giving it away for free and all that at concerts when no one knew who they were. Came off as greedy when they fought Napster, could have handled it so much better. I remember them saying how they hated when you'd go to a concert and the bands would play only their new stuff and maybe a medley of their old stuff and they wouldn't do that. Not too long after that, that's exactly what they did. Load was.

Glad to see they've finally come to their senses... better late than never, I guess.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The big problem is corporations be it Music, Movies, Oil, ect they all want money and they don't care who they hurt to get it. Metallica at the time of the fight with Napster had more money then they knew what to do with so to call them hurting artists is a little bit of a stretch.