Metallica, E! and WB on iTunes

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 28, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

CNN reports that Metallica has finally decided to allow digital distribution of their music on the iTunes Music Store.

Metallica made headlines in 2000 for being vocal against online piracy and for suing Napster and a number of universities for promoting piracy.

Other notable additions to iTunes have included E! Entertainment shows and WB shows. Of note, the Pilot episode of Aquaman is being offered. This episode is unique in that it represents a rejected series originally intended for the Fall 2006 season.

2. macrumors member

It's about time.

Hopefully others will follow.

3. macrumors 6502

This is several days old.

4. macrumors 6502a

yeah

I read about this at different points for the whole week. AI had the metallica thing on monday or tuesday as I recall.

5. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

just consolidating some recent itunes news. The Aquaman pilot is interesting that its doing well. obviously it's a novelty... but I'd like seeing more pilots for potential shows.

I haven't watched aquaman yet.

arn

6. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Aquaman Is A Natural Hit - Whoever Rejected It Is Too Young To Know Better

How could they have rejected Aquaman as a series? I'm sure it would have been a huge hit. It would also make for a great motion picture franchise. Crazy. :rolleyes: :eek:

7. macrumors regular

thogs_cave

Agreed. Often $SPOUSE and I have sat through a show on the boob-tube and said, "If this is what they broadcast, what did they throw away?" It would be nice to see it and judge for ourselves.

Now if Cartoon Network would just start offering stuff on ITMS. I really miss "Megas XLR". :mad:

8. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

With this being the number one show on iTunes right now (and yes I bought it.) I wonder what the changes are that a network would take another look at this show. I would think it would fit nicely with WB, or CW or whatever they're calling it, but I believe they're the ones that rejected it in the first place.

I've heard of cancelled shows being picked up by another network or re-picked up by the same network after some fan outcry, but I don't think there's been any precedent of a rejected pilot getting picked up after fan interest.

To be fair, although I thought the show was good for a pilot, just because someone bought it doesn't mean that they thought it was good.

9. macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Hey, thanks Metallica for leaving off your 6 most recent cds.
    Way to be proactive....:mad:

10. macrumors 6502

Unless something's changed since Tuesday night, The full metallica studio catelog is available on iTunes. So before you complain, go to iTunes folks.

Load, Reloaded, Garage Inc., Metallica and others (I'm not a hard core Metallica fan so don't kill me for remembering all of them) were all available.

Cheers,

11. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Yeaaaaaaaah :D

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

[​IMG]

13. macrumors regular

celebi23

Umm, I guess you've never seen the "Nobody's Watching" pilot on youtube.com. It's in 3 9 minute parts. It's had over 400,000 views & NBC has ordered 6 new episodes and a few webisodes for youtube. They're hoping for it to start on NBC mid-season. Definatly check NW on youtube.

14. macrumors 65816

Porchland

It is several days old, and I submitted the item about the WB having content on iTunes at about 7 a.m. on Tuesday morning. I guess getting E! makes it news.

As for Metallica, in the last year, iTMS has also picked up Madonna, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Steve Miller Band. I'm glad to hear that Metallica is finally on board -- not because I like them (I don't) but because more is better!

Who's left out now besides Radiohead and The Beatles?

15. macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

hmmm. my fault.
    sorry for relying on cnn to have an accurate report.
    i will check all possible sources before trusting such a shady operation again. :p

16. macrumors regular

jephrey

Not only that, how about an iTunes exclusive series? Not that Apple would want to get into that per-se, but if a network produced a show for iTunes, I wonder how that would work? If feasible, this could be a big step forward in internet broadcasting.

Jephrey

17. VAG
    macrumors member

VAG

It was about time... Cliff Burstein (as a manager of Metallica) maybe thought that this will increase their popularity now at the end of their career...
    I'm a huge fan of them since 1987, and I'll tell you, this was a good move for them.

PS: Also means that their upcoming new album will sell more than St.Anger and maybe will be a great production as "Black Album" was and not as St.Anger's drums resolution.

Good luck Metallica and great addition on iTunes, Apple ;)

Greetings from Greece.
    VAG

18. macrumors regular

If only they had...

19. macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Only the US/CA stores with Metallica-no Aus or Euro stores have it yet?

20. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Metallica sux :(

21. macrumors newbie

We've secretly replaced Lars's snare drum with a can of Folgers Crystals. Let's see if he notices...

22. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

Led Zeppelin

23. macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

AC/DC
    Some Kid Rock

24. macrumors 6502

rxse7en

Would be an interesting study to launch ALL pilots on iTunes. Watch the number of downloads/purchases then produce the most popular shows for on air. I think I'll register this concept now!

®

There.

:D

B

25. macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Anything after the black album is generic metal trash.
    So - leaving off those 5 cds wouldn't have exactly been a bad thing. :D
    As I always say..."Load is exactly that. A LOAD."