methods of saving up for an imac.

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by bryantm3, Jan 25, 2004.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

ok, heres the poop.
    i get 60/month
    brother gets 40/month
    mom gets 3000/month
    dad gets 1000/month
    how do i save up for an iMac in a year?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Simple: Don't spend money!

Pay for housing, pay for food, pay for school--that's it! Don't spend money on anything else.

Good luck fighting temptation :p.

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

how do you get your $60/month? what is your schedule like? could you get [another] job? even something like shoveling snow once or twice a week would help.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

make your dad get a real job where he makes more than $12,000 a year... he'll be so happy to actually have some money that he'll buy you an iMac out of glee.

paul

5. bryantm3 thread starter macrumors regular

it's allowance. im 13.
    other guy:
    me dad is a teacher, i dont appriciate your commments

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

at least at 13 you shouldn't have too many expenses like gas/car insurance. if you could really limit your spending, you would get there eventually. also, i would still recommend shoveling snow or something in the winter, mowing lawns in the simmer, raking leaves in the fall... anything that people would rather not do themselves that could earn you a little extra $$

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

absolutely do some sort of yard work/minor job and save everything you can. A little effort and you can accumulate a good bit in no time. As a teacher, your Dad could probably get a better price on the iMac as well.

By showing some initiative in getting out there and working for what's important for you, you might impress them into *helping* you out.

Good luck!

D

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm sure that paul meant no disrespect by that. But $1k a month is pretty low for a teacher, even a new one. Does he teach in a private school by any chance?

hey paul: I'm tired of covering your ass :p (no matter how much you may like it)

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hahaha... yes, i was joking, i assumed he was either a teacher or worked for a NPO or other cause... but even so, i really hope $12k is net and not gross.

thanks counterfit ;)

anyhoo, it's really kind of impossible to suggest a way to budget a computer in, without seeing a complete budget breakdown. that means all money in and all money out, obviously there are a lot of expenses to cover here... with the info you've given thusfar, i'd say to just have your mom save for two weeks and buy the damn thing. it's really not realistic to expect sound financial advice on a basis like this.

i agree with above, you're probably not going to get there anytime soon on your own, but if you show initiative, your parents will be more likely to help. perhaps start a system where each parent matches each dollar you put in a savings account.

paul