Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two more U.K. banks adopted Apple Pay technology today, with The Co-Operative Bank and Metro Bank announcing support for the mobile payment platform that works on iPads, iPhones, and Apple Watch devices (via Engadget).

In announcing the service's launch on its systems, The Co-Operative Bank chose to emphasize that its existing customers can still earn Everyday Rewards if they are already registered to use the scheme, provided they are eligible for that month.

Screen-Shot-1-800x295.jpg

Meanwhile, Metro Bank highlighted the fact that it's currently the only bank that allows new customers to start using Apple Pay as soon as their account has been opened.

We're excited to announce that from today our customers can use Apple Pay with any Metro Bank card! https://t.co/inkuqvOG9h #ApplePay pic.twitter.com/DDRSt3wfCh - Metro Bank (@Metro_Bank) October 4, 2016

The Co-operative Bank and Metro Bank became the 21st and 22nd financial institutions in the U.K. to support Apple's mobile payment platform, following the recent roll out to Clydesdale Bank and Yorkshire Bank. The U.K. now has the widest support for the service outside of China and the U.S. Today also saw Russia become the latest major market to gain access to the payment system.

Article Link: Metro Bank and The Co-Operative Bank Now Support Apple Pay in the U.K.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
That's weird. I was a metro bank customer in the U.S. until they were bought by a Pittsburgh bank. I didn't know they still existed elsewhere. Metro was a great bank with free checking and instant ATM card when you signed up and Sunday hours, all that was dropped when bought out so I left.

Jetman

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
To deploy an overused term:
FINALLY!

Rest of Smile / CoOp still has gone to the dogs though. The recent online banking website redesign? Ugh.

Reactions: tullys

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
That's weird. I was a metro bank customer in the U.S. until they were bought by a Pittsburgh bank. I didn't know they still existed elsewhere. Metro was a great bank with free checking and instant ATM card when you signed up and Sunday hours, all that was dropped when bought out so I left.

I think MetroBank in the UK is an unrelated company.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Yesssssss!! I love Metro bank, nothing but good experiences with them so far — except for their lack of Apple Pay. Until now. :)

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
(Via Engadget):

Speaking of rewards, Apple will soon let UK users add their "favourite store credit cards and rewards cards" to their digital wallet. In the US, companies like Dunkin' Donuts, JCPenney, Kohl's, Panera and Whole Foods already let customers load loyalty cards onto their iPhone or iPad. Hopefully it won't be too long until Brits can do the same.

Hasn't that been touted since the launch of iOS 9?

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
(Via Engadget):

Speaking of rewards, Apple will soon let UK users add their "favourite store credit cards and rewards cards" to their digital wallet. In the US, companies like Dunkin' Donuts, JCPenney, Kohl's, Panera and Whole Foods already let customers load loyalty cards onto their iPhone or iPad. Hopefully it won't be too long until Brits can do the same.

Hasn't that been touted since the launch of iOS 9?

This would be fantastic but I won't hold my breath. So many loyalty cards could live in  Wallet - Tesco Clubcard, Boots Advantage Card, M&S Sparks, my Waitrose.......

Reactions: iGeek2014

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
This would be fantastic but I won't hold my breath. So many loyalty cards could live in  Wallet - Tesco Clubcard, Boots Advantage Card, M&S Sparks, my Waitrose.......

Select areas of the UK can add Clubcard to their Wallet app.

Tesco are working on rolling it out nationwide.

As I've said many times before Boots (whom are partly owned by Walgreen's) should have given their Advantage Cards the ability to be added when Walgreen's went live in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.