Metroid on Wii delayed again...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dead EditHer, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Dead EditHer macrumors newbie

Let me first state that this is unsubstantied, but according to BBY, the Wii instalment of the Metroid series has had another delay on the release date
    Link to story below:
    http:www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=106170

Sorry, my bad with the extra prefix.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Best Buy's NYSE/NASDAQ Stock Logo

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Best Buy has pushed the release date to new year's eve...they usually do this if there's no set release date, which thre isn't.

6. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Maybe, but I'd need more before I really care about that news

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Basically as I've said in other threads. I'd be surprised if most of the titles we are waiting for will make 2007.

Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime..... I'd exepect them to slip because Nintendo and release dates generally mean sweet FA

9. TheGimp macrumors 6502

^

If this turns out to be true, I don't know how Nintendo execs can sleep at night (l-theanine?). The truth wouldn't hurt as long as it came directly from Nintendo at the earliest point in time when they know (or are reasonable sure) that there will be a delay. Top quality (eventual) does not excuse misinformation. No one ever mentions this having happened to them, but back when my best childhood friend preordered an N64, he was informed that the DEBUT Zelda game would be provided on a disk (not a cartridge) playing back on a disk-playing N64 peripheral which never materialized for the N64. Additionally, said peripheral (something with 'drive' in the name') was to provide additional features beyond larger storage capacity, including substantial ram caching. To add insult to injury, the Zelda game itself was delayed as well.

Nintendo never came forward to 'fess up to the nixing of that plan for that drive, unless you count periodicals written in languages other than English. My friend had to find out simply by waiting and never seeing the product on any shelf. No magazine mentioned it, at least not for a year or more until my friend left for college and had to wait for a gamecube, also delayed, plus the NEXT Zelda game, also delayed.

So my advice is to just 'be in the moment' with consoles. Purchase systems on the strength of what's already available, not based on pipe dreams (not even if they're populated by a Mario or Link). Why scramble to own a console just to 'be ready' for that special Mario or Halo release day. One can always buy a console later, most likely at a reduced price to boot. On the positive side, we gamers have SO MANY choices compared to the crumbs dribbling from game devs back in the day (e.g. one atari 2600 game - like it or not - every few months). No one is obligated to create anything special for us, but we should hold them to their word.

I propose that, for every dishonest withholding of delay of info regarding release data, or sudden spec change made by any corporation, we *steal* one of their available titles while waiting for the promised one to arrive. That way we avoid the philosophical snaggle of rushing the chef to provide a lesser product sooner (smells done to me). Kind of like stuffing oneself on bales of premium focaccia bread at a new restaurant (keep it coming, garcon) when the shrimp risotto is tardy to the point one missing a movie. Then, once the main dish passes muster, we can make it up by singing the restaurant's praise to friends and giving the waiter his just due.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think Mario Galaxy will be this year and SSBB next year. If they've delayed MP3 to put online in it, i'm gonna be pissed.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

As long as Mario comes out this year, I'm happy. Every other Nintendo Franchise has let me down these past few years....

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Let's hope not.

I don't see what can be taking so long. Wasn't Metroid Prime 3 the FIRST Wii title in development? Didn't they design the nunchuck because Retro studios told them that they couldn't make the game without an analog stick?

Zelda was started earlier because it was a GameCube title, but Metroid Prime 3 shouldn't be THAT far behind...

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ If it has been in development that long then lordy, MP3 must be huge.

Online Multiplayer? it had better be good. Stick in huge open levels with a wide array of weapons, albeit basic ones (sniper, rocket, etc), give it multiple modes and get non-gamers in there (pwnage). They'd have a deal.
    Final Prime game too *sniff*

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm having a hard time finding the original article, because it was before E3 '06 and the flood of MP3 news since then has made it difficult to find in Google, but I've found other articles referencing it.

15. Agilus macrumors regular

This sounds bizarre to me. Wouldn't it be much easier and honest to just not buy the game, or boycott the company if it bothered you that much?

Release dates are estimates. Working in software, I've seen release dates slip (not any related to me, thankfully) for various reasons (requirements changes, unforeseen complications, bad design, different teams with conflicting assumptions, people leaving the company, etc.). It's difficult to make good estimates, and I agree that when you're the customer, it's annoying when they get pushed back.

With all of this, though, I think I still like estimates better than the, "It's done when it's done," approach that some companies take. When you've got a release date planned, at least you've got a cut off point to work toward. I think [that otherwise] it's much easier to end up with a game that never releases (e.g. Duke Nukem Forever).

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True.... but.....

There was a lot of dishonesty about Nintendo's first party titles for the Wii launch.

They swore blind that Metroid would be a release game and promised with hands on heart that Supermario Galaxy would meet its Jan Q1 release.

We all may have been skeptical - and it came then as no surprise when the final launch list didn't include those games.

But Nintendo marketing still went on to say ... promise both games Q1 2007

Nintendo have been dishonest. and Why ? Simple.

They have had very few big name IP first party launch titles for the Wii. It was of course this lack of anything major first-party that made them revise the way they would distribute Zelda : Twilight Princess. Before they claimed it would release as a cube game with wii enhancments when played inside a wii.

This suddenly changed and its obvious & maybe sensible the reason why.... nintendo knew damn well in that Metroid, Mario Galaxy et. all would not be ready until late 2007 / 2008 and they needed a key first party title.

Hence Zelda suddenly gets promoted to an official 'wii' game status. In fact without Zelda they may not have had any big IP's for 2006 and possibly 2007 (we still wait and see).

Hence even spinoff and less known games like Super Paper Mario has been promoted to official 'wii' game status.

Nintendo 'MARKETING' haven't been playing fairly with the consumer. A slippage here and there can be expected, but this is more than that. It's BS marketing and we would all ride Sony or M$ ass if they did the same thing.

And to say they have no control over a product or can accurately predict the development process is utter BS.
    If they cant keep their own development house in order than god help them.......

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

you have a link for this?

If paper mario, smg and smash bros where out the same day, I would only buy paper mario and the others would have to wait. I don't really think it's a lesser game.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh Sky - you read the internet and are as a big a fan as any. You know what they said prior to the Wii launch and at E3. I'm sure you read all the interviews like many of us did... :rolleyes:

Stop trying to defend them and slap them on the wrist. It's the only way we will see change from a company.

This is why Nintendo havent changed tactic. It's this unfaultering blindsided loyalty than some fans show. You would jump all over someone for doing the same with M$ or Sony.

Nintendo are not your 'friend' they are a business, and what they are doing is just corporate marketing BS. Good business for them and painful arduous waiting process for the consumer.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

QFT, good reading there MRU. At least someone in here doest keep looking to their blind loyalty to justify Nintedo's flip-flopping and BS. And you know as well as I do that the vocal Nintendo blind loyalists here have already Jumped all over Sony and MS for doing pretty much the same exact things.

Talk about your flip-flops.... And don't get me started on why they can't keep stock of their hardware in stores, yes I'm sure modern mass production technologies can't keep up with producing.. yea.. right.. keep telling yourself that :rolleyes: You can only fool the consumer for so long, before they forget your product even exists..

Ed

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I definitely agree with you on Metroid Prime. They said launch then early 07, now who knows when, but they never said SMG would be out in Jan 07. Ed's quote above has miyamoto being way off back at E3 with a Q2 release date, but for the last 6 months they've stuck to "sometime in 07". They never "promised" January.

As I've said multiple times, If they've held back MP3 just to add some crappy online multiplayer I'll be pissed off, but I expect to see SMG before 08.

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You're right, DS Lite stocks are still limited, and consumers have forgotten all about that...oh,wait....

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I love how the blind loyalists are quick to bring up that precious DS Lite, or some other topic irrelevant to the subject.

If Sony or MS did any of what Nintendo is currently doing you would be spewing hellfire and brimstone and forseeing the death of whatever isnt Nintendo. But when Nintendo can't meet dates, or can't somehow produce a machine using years old technology its "ok"... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pure BS...

Ed

23. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

^ Bah. Nintendo pulls this bs all the time and it's part of liking their games, like having a friend/date who's chronically late, except that this "friend" happens to be a heartless business. I don't find waiting for their games, or any other platforms "painful and arduous." I'm not cursing the heavens or planning my schedule around the fact that some marketing dope told a videogame magazine/website that a game would be out in March. Take all release dates for games on any system with a grain of salt.

Nintendo's games are always pretty darn good. Nobody has a gun/laser cannon to your head.

All good games are worth the wait, on any system.

24. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

QFMFT

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I agree with you mostly. I dont mind waiting generally - but coming out with BS release dates to try and mask a pretty poor release schedule is what gets on my nerves, when it's clear you can not deliver on that release date is annoying.

You see a twinkle of hope in an otherwise duff schedule to only have it ripped from under you. nice.....