Metroid Prime 3 Will Be Perfect...and online?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Feb 19, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=711

w00t! Online Metroid!

Granted, he only implied it will be online, but it's a pretty strong implication :D

On the Wii, this could be done very well...or very badly. Worst case though, the single player game is almost guaranteed to rock, and hopefully online will be good too.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I thought the whole point it went from being a launch game to sometime 2007, was because they were adding multiplayer ?

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thats what everyone suspected but it was never confirmed.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Of course it's going to be perfect, history has taught us Retro Studios are gods (a new old-style Rare?). Prime 3 will not be bad in anyway. I just hope they don't make it as linear as Prime 2, make another iPod worthy soundtrack and give me another 20 hours of solid, perfect gameplay.

Online? hmm. I hope it works as it should, I'd rather have no online than a shoddy attempt. If they get up to 16, or even 32 players then I'll be very impressed.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Oh come on. Remember, this is Nintendo (okay, Retro, but same difference). Remember how long you had to wait for Twilight Princess. :D

I'm super excited about this game, though. I hope it's better than the first.

6. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I can't wait for this game. I've been waiting on a good FPS for the Wii. This system was made for this type of game.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't know about all that perfect crap but I'm expecting a good game...not like the complete letdown that was MP:Hunters...I'm looking foward to this one.

Bless

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Umm, no he didn't! He saying that that is what the interviewer would take as being perfect.

There's a 3 page thread from last week about this on NeoGAF where the interviewer says

"The tone of the "perfect for you" line was that he was telling me "You, Stephen, would think that online is needed for it to be perfect, but I'm not going to tell you right now what perfection is for me." You could parse that five different ways, so take it for what you will.

-Stephen"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142754

That nintendo website misread what he was saying, a great piece of journalism.

I'd love an online FPS for Wii from Nintendo, but Metroid isn't it. I hope they're just making the single player awesome rather than wasting time on a ****** online game (Hunters says hi!)

9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They never said that; they just delayed it to 'improve' it.

Sounds just like Metroid Prime Hunters...

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I loved the older Metroid titles (NES era), i never cared to much where they took the franchise in the GCN era. As far as multiplayer goes, lets see if it ends up being any better than say Phantasy Star for GCN.

rmrf /

11. applekid macrumors 68020

Some will argue online multiplayer will ruin the game. I am one of those people.

Metroid was never meant to be a multiplayer first-person shooter. If you played Echoes and to a degree, Hunters online, you know what I mean.

12. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Can someone explain the "online ruined the game" philosophy to me? If two games have the exact same single player, but then one also adds online into the mix, how is it any worse? It doesn't matter how bad the online is, if you don't play it, it's just like the single player only version.

:confused:

13. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, if adding multiplayer is the reason for delay (which some are suggesting), I feel I am getting gipped.

14. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ok, so it's not a "makes the game bad" argument, it's a "I want the game sooner" argument.

I can accept that.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

huzzah! another half-assed attempt at an FPS/Action game with endless backtracking! Should be amazing online...

*yawn* bring back 2D Metroid on the VC

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while Metroid is First Person. its not exactly a shooter. its more of a puzzle game/Adventure game imo.

17. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

What are you talking about? Echoes had no online play, and the limited multiplayer mode it had had absolutely no effect on the game; it was a disappointment because there was very little new material, it felt like a rehash and the environments weren't as beautiful as the first game.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, Prime 2 wasn't as good as Prime 1, but at least they had a story from start to end, something Bungie couldn't do. Prime 1 was less linear, I really didn't like how Prime 2 was structured... and the visors weren't as good.

Whilst very basic, I rather enjoyed the multiplayer. spent a fair few hours on a 4 player one evening.

I'm always perplexed by the "FPS" comments. Is SotC an accurate horse riding simulator, or is Race: WTCC an arcade racer? Shooting areas in the game are just a mean to progress the game, they don't rely on skill with the targetting system. it's about evasion over headshots.

19. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Still, I want to see a MPH style online multiplayer mode (without Z targeting) and the normal "stop and pop" (with Z targeting) mode for the single player adventure. MPH was overall fun to me but wasn't long enough and was too linear. Fix these problems and add >Xbox level graphics and a solid story and MP3 will be amazing. Is this too much to ask? Probably, but I can dream...

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

If antyhing, the Wii doesn't need Z-targeting. I was gratefull for it on the Cube and it's the only reason I spent time to even get into the game. *insert my usual insult about aiming with one's thumb.* ;)

From what I read about MP3, it has an expert mode which is similiar to the all-mighty-mouse and keyboard combo.

I don't mind waiting for multiplayer, then I can game with my long distance friends. I would personaly love a co-op mode via online play.

Anyway, MPH is one of my all time favorites, so I'm eagerly awaiting this new one.

<]=)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If the controls are super precise as what they're saying... I'll probably only use Targetting for the big boss battles, the arc that Samus walks in with targetting is a life saver.

I can't wait to see this big glorious ending for the Phazon though. End of the series!

22. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Z-targetting was actually useful, just so you don't have to hold your hand on enemies.

On a PC, you can point at someone and release the mouse. On a console, you can point at someone and release the joystick. On the Wii you have to hold your hand steady...or you can Z-target to lock the view once you're pointing right.