Metroid Prime Hunters

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

go on *sniff* brag about it :( Mine won't be here for a while, 2 weeks at the most. but I hear it's utterly brilliant.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I was going to make a thread :)

The game's awesome, though the multiplayer vs other people is rather limited (works just like Mario Kart, few game options, no voice chat), you can now add people you run in to on random matches to your Rivals list (seperate from your Friends list).

There's a server browser to see all games your friends and rivals are hosting and you can join those. I haven't had the chance to play against anyone on my list though. I've been told you can voice chat when playing games against friends.

The gameplay is just awesome though:D

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Don't have it (yet) either, then again, my DS is still in the mail. :p This will be the first game I buy (apart from the bundle I got with the DS), though!

And I have to thank. I have no idea what you said that reminded me of it, but your post made me check my wallet and find... a $25 Target gift card that I have been trying to find a use for! (Er, your in England... Target is a large national "general merchandise" store here in the States, not sure if you have them there - come to think on it, you've likely heard of them as they are an Apple reseller for iPods and maybe minis now).

Anyways, now I can get Metroid as soon as my DS arrives. OotOot! Thanks!

So, who else is getting it? We need a list of MR members who have Hunters so there can be a league like the MK thread awhile back. :)

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

You can't chat during the game. Only between matches.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That makes sense. I was wondering how they were going to manage that during the game (the DS wireless hardware is inly capable of moving like 3Mbps of data). Still, pretty impressive that a handheld game has ANY voice chat features, in my book.

6. turbodub macrumors regular

I just got an email saying that my copy shipped. My DS Lite should be arriving on Thursday or Friday too! Can't wait!

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ooo big spender! What did you pay for the lite?

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The game actually kinda sucks. 2D Metroid games are still much better.

Although, it's nice to be able to free-look while you move (finally) - but the levels are extremely small and the enemies (aside from the hunters) are pretty lame. Honesstly, I've only run into one enemy that charges after me (again, aside from the hunters).

The graphics, however, are pretty amazing. Mostly, the textures create the illusion of bump-mapping for the bio-electric 'security system' bosses. It looks pretty amazing for a DS game, I think.

Overall, I'm not that impressed with it yet. Maybe online play is more fun? It just doesn't feel very lengthy, as I've already rushed through and killed four hunters within the first night.

Also, switching to the 'scan' visor is annoying. And the weapon switching is kind of lame too.

Oh well...at least I can free-look...

9. turbodub macrumors regular

I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I paid $225 for the Lite. I know it's a lot, but I have no DS, so the choice was either to buy an old-style DS for $130 and then trade it in/sell it when the Lite hits the US, or just buy the Lite now. Obviously, I decided on the latter.

I went to BestBuy all ready to buy the old-version DS, and then saw its screen compared to the Gameboy SP screen (which is comparable to the Lite). The difference in brightness was so stunning that I couldn't buy the old-version. I went home and ordered a Lite online.

The other things is, I'm kind of skeptical of the rumored US release date of May for the Lite. Stock is still ridiculously low in Japan, so I can't imagine that Nintendo will be able to meet that demand as well as ramp-up for a US release by May. Just my hunch...

It sounds like Metriod is great, but didn't quite meet the hype. I'm sure it'll be a really fun game to play, but I'm worried about the controls; it sounds like people are having trouble. I guess we'll see...

Cheers

10. litosclone macrumors member

I was not really a FPS fan, but I love this game. The controls are tight and accurate, graphics are great and the game play is intense. I've only made it to the 2nd boss - The bosses so fare seem kind of average, but I'm sure they'll get harder as I progress. As for the Wi-Fi, I thought was awesome; although I did die quite a bit (I really suck). I haven’t played a FPS in years (Turok on the 64 was the last I played) and I think this is one of the best games on the DS.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I wouldn't have bought a regular DS at this point if I hadn't got a terrific deal on it either. I paid something like $70 for a used silver one, though, so it was worth that. I may or may not trade up to a lite once the clamor has dies down a bit. I have big hands, so I'll have to try one in a store first.

It does sound like Metroid may have failed to live up to the hype surrounding it, though. I suppose that it would be hard to be as good as everyone wanted it to be. Now I am having trouble picking between Metroid and Tetris. :p It's been a long time since I played a good game of Tetris, but it's still just Tetris...

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

How does it compare to the Demo? I swear it's the most played demo for me, is it even better in the full game?

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So would anyone be interested in some sort of MR league/tournament? I'd be happy to handle the logistics of setting up the schedule or a tourney or maybe a full league, and host the results on my website.

Maybe start with a straight deathmatch tournament with random seeding, best of 3 elimination rounds? If we have enough people we could do a consolation/losers bracket for people who go out first round. :p

Since the game came out yesterday, I figure a month from now would be ample time for people to get the game and practice? I'm sure I am going to break down and buy it on the way home from work :p

Rob

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You've got to remember though that Crachoar hates Metroid Prime and all 3D Metroid games, *and* hasn't played it online yet.

Me, I've hadly played through the single player, played through much more online, and I enjoyed Metroid Prime (as most did, IGN gave it 9.9 and GameSpot gave it 9.7). So if you liked Metroid Prime, you'll like this game.

It blows the demo away. Fixes every notable flaw it had, especially the horrid balancing (camping by the health made you invincible in the demo) in multiplayer, adds a ton more characters and great online play.

I'm disappointed with the random matching, but games between friends are awesome with the server browser and voice chat.

15. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Dunno where he got it, but they are available on eBay (usually in the $225 range) and on www.Lik-Sang.com for $199+shipping and any import taxes you may be responsible for.

17. Oblivious macrumors 6502

I just drove down (yep, i got my license on Monday :)) and bought Hunters yesterday. I just started it up today after school, and so far I'm actually pretty impressed. The adventure mode has been pretty easy so far, but I've only spent the time to get through the first level. I'm really enjoying the online portion though, that's tons of fun. The graphics are great and it is very intense online. My friend code is 2964-2028-7119 if anyone wants to play.:p

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Prime Hunters look really good! I have DS but a DS Lite looks so nice, so as long as i don't send to much $$$ i'll get it

19. hofnar macrumors regular

hofnar

I got my DS lite Saturday. It's great. I am looking to get this game too.

20. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

It was either MGS3: Subsistence or MPH... I went with Subsistence, even got the Limited Edition!

Next week is Kingdom Hearts II (english version, already beat Japanese), so MPH gets pushed back even further. :(

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

hahah. well it must only be Praxis, cuz you know, Hunters isn't doing that well. :rolleyes:

In similar news my imports been delayed due to stock issues. happened with Nintendogs and Mario Kart. Always the popular games...

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I got the game but no DS to play it on so i played the some on my friend DS and once again its excellent as its GC counterparts.

Bless

23. silentthunder77 macrumors member

if you own a ds, you def. need to get this game. the control with the stylus isn't as smooth as halo of course, and it can make your hand hurt a little, buts its still a great fps for sure. i talked to my friend in the pre/post game lobby and its great, the microphone does this thing to your voice that makes it sound like you have a cold.

my friend code: 4853 9893 0412

im totally down for a tournament too

24. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i'd buy this game now if it weren't for the fact that i have to wait until may to buy a DS, because i want a lite, and i don't feel like importing one. :cool:

25. manosira macrumors member

manosira

Hmm.. thinking about selling my DS now and getting a Lite.. but I'll wait till it's closer to May, I don't think I can go too long without one. This game looks awesome though, can't wait to pick one up.