Mexican Food Recipes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Jan 31, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

a special mexican dish

I want to make a special mexican dish for a group of people in a fifth week gathering. can you recommend something that would be good but is not to much, it is for a group of people

2. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Sopa Seca: Mexican Noodle Casserole

This is pretty good, and easy. Food Network kitchen recipes are great. ( OK, I'm biased, I use to work there!)

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey everyone. I love Mexican food, it is my favorite type of food. Burritos, tacos, quesidillas, enchilladas, chili rellenos, etc. I was wondering if anyone here had some good Mexican Food recipes. I just made myself a nice chicken quesidilla, thats what brought up the topic. Anyways, here is my simple recipe:

Spicy Chicken Quesidilla

Get some chicken meat and cut it up into pieces (each one about hte size of a Hershy Kiss). Cook it in the pan, and throw in some oil to cook it. Throw a bit of Tapatio on the chicken, let it cook in.

In a clean pan, put a good size tortilla (flour) in it. Load it up with cheese (american blend, white and yellow), and throw the chicken in there too. Then set the other piece of tortilla on top.

Cook it in the pan, flip it once the bottom half gets hot and starts to get golden brown. Take it off once the both sides are golden brown.

Cut it up, dip it in some sour cream and tapatio. Yum.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i love quesidillas, my recipe is a bit simpler. 1) drive to taco bell 2) buy quesidilla, 3) eat.

yours sounds better.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

When I was in Mexico this last summer for my honeymoon, my wife and I had two things we fell in love with:

Tlayudas:

1) chop up some lettuce, slice up some avacados, tomatoes, onion (very thin)
    2)get refried black beans of chop up canned black beans in a blender
    3) place black beans in layer on top of a very large flour tortilla (or large, thin lavash) (think pizza and pizza sauce)
    4) here's the hard part. Get a cheese like quesilla, a stringy, white cheese (from Oaxaca--I found some in my nearest grocery store that caters to Latin American clientelle. I live in a neighborhood that has such a store, but there should be one in any non-midwestern major city.)
    5) cook the tortilla, beans, and cheese in the oven until hot.
    6) spread lettuce, avacados, and tomatos on top
    EAT!

and Chalupas (the Mexican kind)

1) cook up some chicken breast. When cooked, pull the meat off into little strings of meat.
    2) chop up onions into tiny little squares and saute them.
    3) fry up small corn tortillas in oil (or, if you're a real Mexican, in lard)
    4) place a couple strands of pulled chicken and a little bit of onion onto the corn tortillas when almost done.
    5) pour salsa verde onto half of the tortillas and a fine red salsa (not chunky) onto the other half.
    EAT!

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Dang that sounds good! I have tried Chalupas before, only I used Pork.

I am going to have to try that Mexican Pizza one day!

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

taco bell food taste like ****... u need to get mexican food from real mexican restournats

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Oh my gosh, if anyone knows where to get a recipe for killer cheese enchiladas, I will love you forever. :) I once tried authentic homemade ones with egg, olives, and some other crazy things in there ... not exactly the same thing they serve at El Torito. ;) They were really good, and I wish I still knew the girl to ask her for the recipe.

9. The Muffin Man macrumors regular

"Arroz con Pollo"

ingredients:

-rice
    -chicken

I can't wholeheartedly recommend it, however, as I am a vegetarian.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'm vegan too, Hola Muffin :) , but still you can prepare vegan "Tamales", can't you? ;)

I've done them. Yeah, here in Germany you can prepare them.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Mexican food!!! MMmmmmm

My favourites being:
    Mole Poblano
    and my own chili con carne recipe.

For christmas dinner last year (2004) we had all mexican food!
    It rocked!!!

12. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

True, and if it ain't from Kraft, i'm not eating it

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ahh I've got a couple good reciepes for Mexican food at home. They are complex enough that I can never remember them off the top of my head but I'll see if I can't get around to posting them when I get home tonight.

One is for enchiladas (and sorry dotnina, they're for chicken, but you might be able to adapt them) that can be made with either red sauce or with verde sauce. Both are excellent, although I'm a little more partial to the red personally.

The other is a top-notch reciepe for Mexican rice. Far, far better than what you can get in the box at the stores. It starts with some tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno that get pureed in the food processor, the rice gets sauteed in some oil before the onion/tomatoe/pepper mix goes in along with some broth and the whole thing goes in the oven.

I'll look for those reciepes when I get home and see about posting them. Bon appetit. :p

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I am a mexican food fanatic. I would say my wife and I eat it at least 3 times a week and sometimes more. I use a lot of the recipes out of a book called Savoring Mexico, it is from Williams Sonoma and some of the dishes in that book that I have made tasted better than anything I have had in a restaurant. My favorite is the Enchiladas Verde. I will try to write it up when I get home.

I also have some other recipes for tortilla soup, fajitas, homeade salsa, turkey tacos, chili, etc. I think if my wife let me I would eat mexican every meal of every day, in fact one time I did just that for about a week and a half straight. :D

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

16. fradac macrumors regular

on that note can someone tell me how to make White Queso,

the kind you can get with chips at any mexican restaurent, they call it cheese dip sometimes. i love it to death.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yum.

18. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Check this expat's site!

Discovered this on Lonely Planet Thorntree Forums: Mexico Branch:

enjoy!

See the red dot.

19. dotnina macrumors 6502a

mactastic -- that's okay, I love chicken too. :)

Can't wait to see some of these recipes.