Mexico A State?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 2, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

They're all comming over here anyway; so why not just move our economy over there, so they won't have to die in the dessert trying to get over here?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In that case, we should annex Canada as well. That should make even more people happy than your suggestion will do.

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Well, I really didn't mean to make a suggestion out of it, I just mainly wanted to hear some reactions as to whether the notion would be good for our economy, or not. :cool:

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It would certainly help solve the immigration problem, wouldn't it? As well as suddenly "move" a lot of auto manufacturing back into the United States. :D

It's about as likely to happen as Ann Coulter joining Moveon.org, but you have to admit, the concept has merit.

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah, being [Made In USA] just wouldn't have the same meaning anymore. On second thought, I guess it was a bad idea. :)

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

imo, despite the complaining, Mexico is a saving grace to America.

The US has an aging population, Mexico a very young one. In 20-30 years, the strain on the US to support an elderly population will require an influx of a youthful workforce - which Mexico has in spades.

Hispanics have already proven to be a dynamic and resourceful workforce, having only a slightly smaller % of their demographic in the middleclass than whites.

NAFTA, while certainly with it faults, can be looked as a forward-thinking plan to keep many jobs at least in N. America, as otherwise those companies would've just outsourced to another part of the world with cheap labor - such as Asia. Keeping portions of the US/Global economy local (relatively), sets up an easier transition to Mexicans joining the US workforce in the coming decades.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if we annexed mexico wouldnt it become several states? afaik mexico is divided into states...

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Doesn't have much of a meaning now.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Do the Mexicans get a say in this, or are you just going to liberate them?

11. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I think it would be good for your economy. In fact, if you annex half the World, you'll find that it will do your economy heaps of good. So I say go for it. :cool:

A good example is the British Empire. I suggest you read up on how that worked out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Chundles
    I disagree with you, but that's another topic. :rolleyes:

dynamicv
    I'm not making the rules, I'm just making the thread; so we have something to talk about. :)

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Pogue Colonel:

"Son, all I've ever asked of my marines is that they obey my orders as they would the word of God. We are here to help the (...) [Mexicans], because inside every (...) [beaner] there is an American trying to get out. It's a hardball world, son. We've gotta keep our heads until this peace craze blows over"

:p :p :rolleyes:

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You can disagree all you want but down here "Made in USA" means "shoddy and going to break soon."

To quote Marty McFly, "all the best stuff comes from Japan."

15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

No, No, No, No, No

16. Queso macrumors G4

Communist :p

17. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Chundles
    Not this company's product. :)

[​IMG]

18. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I agree. You already belong to the British [Queen]. ;) :p :p

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

20. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I have some Wiha screwdrivers - high quality German stuff. :)

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Mexican birthrate is dropping and by 2030 there will be no excess to migrate north. Much of the pressure now is from central and south America. As they migrate north, wages are kept low in Mexico, worsening the situation.

NAFTA has been an utter disaster for Mexicans. The US used to be a net exporter of beef to the US, now it's the second largest importer. Much of that has to do with capital investment in feedlots and distribution channels but a lot of it can be attributed to heavily subsidized feed and the powerful beef lobby in the US. The corn and bean farmers in Mexico are next and due to the MASSSIVE subsidies the grain growers get, many thousands of Mexican farmers are going to go bankrupt.

Mexico's biggest economic problem is PEMEX. Oil is running out in Mexico and PEMEX is doing nothing to plan for when the wells run dry. Mexico's second largest problem is its wealth distribution and the low tax rates on the wealthy. Anyone who would want to annex Mexico would be inheriting a problem of gargantuan proportions.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Much better to liberate them from their pains. They will dance in the streets and hug us when we reach Mexico City.

Daddy knows best, of course.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Really? I think we have a lot of experience in dealing with the issues of third-world nations. After all, Mississippi and Louisiana are already members of the union.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Excellent counter-points. I would have to imagine the truth is somewhere between our two posts.

Mexican and American fates are tied together. I am not sure bout Canada - it might be one of the first countries in history to just dissolve peaceably...

25. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

We don't own Mexico though...

That would be like France annexing Germany.