Mexico's Fox to Sign Bill Legalizing Drugs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, May 2, 2006.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

OK, this is probably a tired subject (the WoD) but do people think this new policy in Mexico will succeed or fail? Do we have any Mexican members?

Personally, I like the idea. If you're carrying a small enough amount for personal use and you're not flying off the handle in public then what's the problem? If you've got more than what you can personally use, then you get the book thrown at you. Sounds reasonable.
    Sigh. I don't see why he should be "appalled" by letting non-offending users go their way, concentrating law enforcement on dealers and smugglers, and saving money by not locking up casual users. Is there any hope for rationality in US drug policy?

If at all possible I'd like to avoid hyperbole. (though I might've crossed that line already with my "rationality" statement) With the recent Fundamentalist resurgence what is it going to take to concetrate our resources on the trouble-makers rather than the casual usres? How can a "moral" person say that jail time, loss of federal college funding and ruinous job prospects are fair punishment for a non-destructive behavior? (I'm referring to smoking pot, and though I don't smoke anymore I know people who do, and none of them have shot themselves in the head or let children under their care drown or gotten raped and pregnant while drunk and stoned - hey, these examples are straight from the government's own commercials)

2. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

The only thing I never have understood about the idea that it shold be legal to carry small amounts for personal use is that these people have to get it from somewhere. Are they gonna set up legal places to buy it? I doubt it. They say they can concentrate on the drug dealers and smuglers better, why? Why even bother? If it is legal to carry and use, it should be legal to sell.

Personally I think both should be illegal, but I am pointing out what I think is a flaw in the reasoning behind this idea.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Weed should be legalized but not the heavy stuff, Making drug users criminals hasnt worked for 50 years. Its time for new thinking though i dont agree with everything mexico is doing.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Dont Hurt Me

Agreed. Make it like any other smoking.

So we take the air out of the tires of the illegal trade, and consequently give the government more money back.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

In the U.S its just easier for the politicians to label anyone who uses drugs other then the ones they push as Bad and should be in Jail. Our federal Govt is a mess on so many issues these days it aint funny. edit is that your BMW?

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Dont Hurt Me

Damn that first sentence of yours! :D Hurt to read.

Yes, it's mine ;)

I agree additionally with your assertation that the gov't in general is a mess, Dem, GOP, etc. They don't listen well to the people they should.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cool , I hadnt noticed the avatar you are now using but i must admit your old photo seemed to make you look very educated for some reason.:D

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

9. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Hell, I'm fine with them taking our drug addicts and us taking the low paid labor if that's the case :cool: Seems like a fair trade to me... :p

10. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

<-- Just one, apparently ;)

I'm not sure what the purpose of this law is. I hope that it's just a step toward a much bolder course of action. Seriously, sometimes I wish they would just legalize everything and let people be responsible for their own actions.

I for one am tired of reading the news every week or so just to find about another drug related execution. Drug dealers here have immense power, they do as they please. But they are cowards, they're nothing without their piles of money. Take away their income and watch them fall.

Also, I'm not a puritan, but I don't agree with the notion of non-offending drug users. At least not while drugs remain illegal. To me even the most casual drug user is a (indirect) contributor to the drug lords and all the harm they cause. It shouldn't have been this way, the substances shouldn't have been illegal in the first place. Didn't anyone learn from prohibition?

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

ROTFLOL

-Dont Hurt Me

Well thanks! That car is my drug ;)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- now Mexico is more forward thinking than we are. How depressing. We used to lead the world. Now we can't even follow.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Considering what an important part the drug trade constitutes in the Mexican economy, this seem like a case of "if you can't beat them - join them."

I do worry this will have the net effect of just involving the Government more explicitly in the drug trade and further institutionalizing the problem.

To be clear, I am not against Drug Legalization, nor do I think this is a stupid move on Mexico's part - but Mexico is hardly a bastion of stability and ethics, and while this is undoubtly good for Mexico in the short-term, it could be quite bad in the longer-term.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You make a good point, people should be responsible for the actions they make and what they do on their time is their business and not Govts or the neighbors but we have to remember the Govt wants to grow its police state(in the U.S.). Soon we will have the smoking police,fat police ,sex police, political correctness police and others. Govt is looking for ways to make everyone part of the criminal justice system. Didnt they just float the idea of making 11 million mexicans and their masters criminals? If Mexico did this it would have to piss off the control freaks in our govt.

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed, I'd be happy to send Limbaugh packing. :D

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I remember laughing at a comic strip I read in MAD Magazine years ago that made a joke about people illegally immigrating TO Mexico. It's not as funny anymore. Don't worry though, they're corporations are greedy theives, their politicians are corrupt, and there is a huge rift between the lower and upper classes with few in the middle class. Wait...

Canada's starting to do this too, but they always were a little more progressive. A little. Too bad they don't want us illegally immigrating up there. Hm.

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I see no harm decriminalizing personal use and cultivation of Marijuana, but

do not support the use of other drugs in this proposal.

The users of harder drugs may not belong in prison, but they do need treatment.

This could be very dangerous for young people living in border states.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, putting Marijuana in the same category as heroine or cocaine is really nuts. One is relatively harmless except that inhaling smoke isnt good for anyone but the other two are addicting hardcore ill do anything for my next hit kind of drugs. We need some truth in this drug war but we just cant seem to get it. They just keep wanting to throw everything in the same pot;) but shouldnt.

20. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

The law got vetoed

I'm still looking for an english-language source for this, but here's a preview for those of you who speak spanish:

link
    (the link just points to the homepage, the actual article requires a non-free password)

Basically, what it says is that President Fox vetoed the law after receiving pressure from US officials.
    In other news, two more drug related executions were reported today in the state where I live, making that a total of 4 in the last 24 hours and 18 so far this year...(I can't post the link either, it requires a subscription)

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as i understand it, part of the proposed law would have granted powers to local police to enforce drug laws. i suppose this was also vetoed? how do you feel about that aspect of the proposed law?

22. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

To be honest with you, I hadn't read much about the law until you mentioned that. I'm pro-legalization, so I followed my original gut feeling. But having read more about it, I'm realizing that the initiative was dangerously flawed.

The police can't be trusted with anything. I'm sure a lot of policeman would have "trouble" measuring the amounts when approaching suspects. They could easily be bribed to make tonnes of cocaine seem like a legal amount.

That being said, I believe that the worse problem with drugs is violence and organized crime, not health issues (although they are serious too). The war on drugs is a sad joke, so maybe it's time we got a little more creative.

23. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Well, nice to see the US stepping in and making sure no one ever tries anything different, flawed or not.

Darn Nancy Reagan to heck. HECK, I SAY!

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Had a feeling this would happen. We have too much influence on Mexico to let this happen. Even if this was allowed, I don't know how many of those other drugs I would want to try in Mexico. I go to Mexico multiple times a year and I don't know if I would want to look for anything else other than some Mexican schwagg. Picking up some local Mexican ecstasy or LSD does not cross my mind.

I guess we can go back to looking up to Canada, assuming their new conservative government doesn't have much of an influence.

jon