MGM DVD settlement

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by atszyman, Feb 5, 2005.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

mgmdvdsettlement.com

Actually I'm kind of amazed that this has not been discussed here. It appears that for a few years MGM simply chopped off the top/bottom of their full screen DVDs and marketed them as widescreen. To make matters even more obvious in a few of the 325 affected movies they have a picture illustrating the difference between the standard/widescreen formats where they have an overlay of the 4:3 aspect ratio on a scene from the movie to show what is cut off. When you go to the scene they pictured on a Widescreen disk you only have the full frame width (illustrated best on the Princess Bride).

So you have to call 1-800-285-2168 to request a claim form. You can only list one DVD per call and they don't tell you if the claim form is valid for multiple DVDs so I just called them 8 times in a row. Once I get my form(s) I will post again to let you know if you only need call once so not everyone will look like as big of an idiot as me.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Here's where you can get the full skinny (including a very detailed technical explanation for the whole "problem"):

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/mgmsuit/mgmsuit.html

It actually doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. The guys at The Digital Bits don't believe it's a problem, either.

Oh, and you are aware, I hope, that they're not just going to GIVE you anything... you have to send in your old "defective" MGM DVD, and they will send you back either $7.10 OR a new MGM DVD from a list of specific titles.

3. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

I am completely aware of the fact that I don't get something for nothing. The explanation does some good, and I have heard some of that information before. It may change the number of discs that I swap but for at least 2 of them (Princess Bride, and A Fish called Wanda) they have pictures like the one below illustrating the WS/FS difference. Yet when viewing the WS it is definitely cut off from their illustration. Assuming that the list is the same as the eligible movies I may only exchange those 2.

Attached Files:

• PB.jpg
      PB.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views: