MGS 4 : Is Coming to 360 ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Oct 28, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So the internet is awash again with speculation.

latest version of egm out next week.
    [​IMG]

I wonder what this will mean for Sony if true, after all it was pretty much one of the last bastains of exclusivity. ?

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If only it were FFXIII being multi-consoled... :(

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can see this happening at some point at least. MGS1 is out on PC, PS1 and remade for the Gamecube. 2 is out for PC, PS2 and Xbox. 3 is PS2 only so far though. So who knows? I lost interest in the series thanks to MGS2 so I can't really be bothered to follow the complex story anymore, but if the gameplay in 4 is good and hits the 360 then I'll get it.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

if true it would be huge blow to sony especially in america ... less so in europe
    final fantasy might be enough for some hard core rpg players and japan but it's not enough for the rest of the world

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think with the cost of games sky rocketing - 3rd party companies like Konami are less likely to offer 'FULL' exclusivity ever again. It just does not make financial sense for them to do so, unless Sony for example is willing to stump up 50-75% of development costs. Which they are unlikely to do so - especially given the recent corporate losses.

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I believe sony has an invested interest in square but not in konami. And the square/sony partnership is not like the relationship that microsoft and bungie has (where ms just gave a blank check to bungie i think). I think it will be possible for ff series to make it way depending on how the 6months to 1year pans out for everybody. But then again I don'treally care for ff series I am more of a bioware fan.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

somehow this wouldnt surprise me. "exclusive" doesn't mean crap anymore. I wonder how good of a thing this is though. I mean, if every game is for every system, is there a point in having more than one system on the market? And won't production just become more expensive when dev teams need to spend more time trying to polish up the code etc. for mulitple platforms? Or will they just slop it over like the first gen of 360 games were?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've had the extreme view for a while that the 360 and PS3 should merge, they both have similar ideologies and directions the market should go in (system power, online abilities, demographic etc). Would be nice at this point for either Sony or MS to take a drastic move. Nintendo are sat comfy on their own island - like the handheld market once was. Sony and MS are feuding over another island.
    I like islands.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your our very own Ragged Jim Hawkins.... ooh arrr (in a pirate way) :D

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It might happen, MSG3 was a exclusive so maybe MGS4 will be too... at least for some time (if there is a X360 MGS4 it will definitely be released MUCH later for X360 for obvious reasons).

Hmm, the future looks bleak for PS3... ruined Gran Turismo, exclusives flocking to Xbox360, 360 getting some greater variety of games, high price, hmm I don't know, Xbox360 is starting to look attractive, not one developer has shown me that PS3's power is actually good for something, sure there is resistance fall of a man but thats a storage limitation, Kojima said MGS4 was possible on X360.

Hmm I'm not sure, but at 60$ a game, 600$ for a console, 30$ for Component cables, 50$ for a few more SixAxis controllers and a 1080p tv... thats some serious cash. (hmm like hmm say 2000-3000$), for 3000$ you can get a Dell 2407FPW and a top end Gaming PC.

Hmm, then there is Xbox360 trying to pretend its a gaming PC (what the hell is with all the online and FPS games? ever played those on PC? They are like 10x more fun). Honestly it might just be that Wii is the real deal, I liked consoles because of games like Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Conker, Ninja Gaiden, Tekken, Gran Turismo etc... not because of Halo, Half Life 2 Xbox, Doom 3 Xbox and all other ****** FPSs they can put out and you see which way the market is shifting... its sad really, a console that specializes in games that don't work well in a console to begin with...

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

The weird thing is that from the developers own mouths a lot of the 360 games are actually superior to there PS3 brethrin.

COD3, Assasins Creed & Rainbow 6 Vegas, all have been stated that the 360 versions graphically have the edge.

We all knew the differences would be nominal, but we all gave the PS3 the edge - looks like were wrong and the 360 has the graphical edge.

We all know MGS4 could be done without a problem on the 360 thanks to hideo's own comments, maybe there was more investigation into that possibility all along and they were waiting to see if Sony come up with the financial incentive to remain exclusive.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Tell that to the folks at Bungie. ;)

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well bungie is owned by MS is it not? So obviously it will be for 360 only, i was meaning towards independent 3rd parties.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, I guess my point (obliquely approached as it was) is that Sony has not taken the route Microsoft has of acquiring good game development companies (like Bungie, Bizarre Creations, Rare, etc.) and then allowing them to operate with some amount of freedom WRT developing new games.

Sony seems to be operating on the assumption that they don't need to "tend their flock" in the same way that Microsoft is actively doing... and for that reason (among others), they're losing their grip on exclusivity.

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

well put.

complacency breeds contempt

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    If it DOES happen, let's just hope Konami pulls its head out of its ass this time and make the controls better than they were on the MGS2 for Xbox release. The PS controller may very well be the only controller that can deal with the vast array of controls for this series. And snakes moves have gotten an update for 4, including laying on your back, crawling away from and shooting at enemies all at the same time.

And if this really happens, it probably means that I'll NEVER buy a PS3...

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I could see MGS4 on the 360 but not until MGS4 has been played out by the PS3...thats how it goes. I hope if they do bring it to the 360 they would fix it better than they did the others because MGS for the CG and the other one for the xbox sucked.

MGS4 for the 360.......2008

Bless

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Would it make more sense to Konami to release it for the 360 first, a la GTA4? Just with the 360s userbase compared to what the PS3 will potentially have at launch (400k) - assuming MGS4 comes out at launch, I don't know much about it though.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I can't see a reason not to...MS will have more then 10x the 360 in the market then Sony will the PS3...at least on launch day, and for how ever long until PS3 ships it 2nd batch. The effort to port it will no doubt pay off.

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

huh? It's not coming out for launch, or am I reading your post wrong? By next year the PS3 should have 5+ million if it is like the 360 after a year, and thats IF MGS4 doesn't get delayed till 2008.

And GTA4 is coming out on both PS3 and 360 at the same time no? and PS3 is rumored to have additional content as well, making the 360 'exclusive' point moot. More 'exclusivity' for ya...

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Opps...I also was assuming it launched with PS3...never the less it would make sense to release it on all on both because it means more possible buyers.

I've never understood why anyone(minus a hardware maker itself) release games only for one system(DS and Wii are changing this now because it would be harder to port a game to/from either of those systems)

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well there could be a variety of reasons, it takes extra resources to develop the game to different platforms, especially if we are talking about PowerPC vs Cell architecture and DX vs whatever graphics API Sony uses so they just need to go with whatever makes them more money (which is the case of PS2, having the largest userbase means more people are likely to buy).

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

That maybe true of the last generation - but the main reason is always the financial incentive a hardware manufactuer gives the developers/publishers.

Which was a big enough chunk of spare change when we were talking 1-2 million $ to develop a big name game.

But with games like this on the 'next' generation reportedly costing anywhere between $5-20 million dollars the budgets and therefore 'RISK' has increased expernentially.

Also then the financial incentive a publisher needs from a manufactuer to make a game exclusive is also higher. Sony may not be willing to stunt up that kind of incentive and this may simply be Konami telling them well if your only giving us $$$ then we can only give you exclusivity for a said period of time (maybe 3 months)...

This is the reality of exclusivity deals as it stands. There is also a big knockoff effect if Sony do lose MGS4 exclusivity and that is - Devil May Cry. The situation of that game is pretty much the same as MGS4 and if Sony are not in the position to stump up the cash for one of these titles, or both, then there is a very good chance we will be seeing not only MGS4 on Xbox 360, but also Devil May Cry 4 also.

Whether Sony are williing to take the risk and allow these games to be released on the 360, i'm not sure. But with recent losses for the sony group and increased financial loans, they may not be in the position to pay off konami at all.