MI ruling that bans benefits for gay partners alarms gay rights advocates nationwide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 8, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- two days in a row of great news. :rolleyes: Attitudes always end up affecting public policy.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid41893.asp

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If I'm reading this correctly, this decision was based on one of those ****** marriage amendments? That sucks. People need to chill the hell out.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sure certain people here will just tell us to chill out too. I mean, come on- it's just people disagreeing with the "gay lifestyle". :rolleyes: ;)

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It was. Next stop, the Michigan Supreme Court, then potentially the federal courts and the national Supreme Court. Each of these cases brings the equal protection issues into sharper focus. Eventually the constitutional question of passing deliberately discriminatory laws at the state level will have to be addressed federally by the courts, if not by Congress.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, it seems we're losing.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

At the moment, in some quarters. Surely not everywhere. And not too far into the future, I think the Supreme Court will be faced with a case which has stark equal protection implications.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Given who's on the Supreme Court, I find that far from comforting.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Well, all Americans will sleep soundly in their beds tonight :rolleyes:

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Point taken, but again I think the timing on this not tomorrow or the next day, and I would not presuppose how any of the current justices, conservative, liberal or moderate, would rule if faced with a very clear 14th Amendment case.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh. the last thing that court needs is more controversy.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe I shouldn't either, but I still think this is gonna be an uphill battle.

Just as a sidenote- I find it interesting that this thread hasn't attracted the attention from certain people that the Snickers thread did. ;)

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Wow. that's crazy! Our union just ensured health benefits for same sex couples. , not in MI, but I can't imagine that the state would interfere in similar decisions.

What's wrong with these people (lawmakers):mad: !

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

What kills me is: if the constitution guaranteed equality for everyone regardless of sexual orientation on matters like this the conservatives wouldn't complain for too long. After a few years you'd not hear much. They aren't that passionate about our benefits and marriage rights, they would just put their ignorance into something else trivial, and forget that homos exist.

*grumble*

e

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- that's where you're wrong. Those idiots will try to harm us any way they can. They don't care much for laws- look at abortion clinic bombings. I fear this will get worse before it gets better. They would never just lay down and leave people alone.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think it would be really intense for 6 months. It would be all over the media. Then the next six months it would start to slowly drift out. I think after 2, maybe 3 years people would cease to care enough to debate about the amendment. Homophobia will always persist, though. There'd definitely be killings and such, as there are now. But I don't think the evangelicals could put up a 10 year battle against a federal amendment that guarantees equality regardless of sexual orientation. They'd get tired, they'd quit.

e

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think you're close here, but not quite right. The evangelicals will never quit. What will happen, however; is that as time puts some distance between a decision to legalize gay marriage or something similar the general public will grow quiet as they realize that gays are getting married and the sky isn't falling, and society isn't failing, and no one is marrying farm animals, as the evangelicals would have them believe.

And you're right, homophobia will always remain, just as racism still lingers today, 50 years after the civil rights movement. Even though no major public figures would dream of openly spouting racist views, they're still there, both consciously and subconsciously.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Exactly. I think after 2 or 3 years the evangelicals would be a LOT more quiet than they are now. Once they realize that it our marriage rights don't affect them...

*plays crickets noise*

e

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No they won't. Once they get a bee in their bonnet it usually stays. How else do you get followers? There always has to be an enemy.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yikes! "Odor in the court." I like it.

Of course. No civil rights battle is easy or quick.

Last night I watched the second half of the "Supreme Court" series on PBS. One of the justices on the Warren Court (it might have been Earl Warren himself) predicted that their decision in Brown v. Board of Education would produce blood in the streets. He was right -- it took another ten years of fighting, legally, legislatively, and literally, for Jim Crow to finally be put down.

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I've been in this fight for over 20 years- looks like it won't end in my lifetime.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Eyes on the prize...one of these day they'll lose, and more people will have the equal rights that should have

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Incidentally, and a little off topic, I keep getting these messed up letters from some nutcases called "The Alliance Defense Fund". In big red typeface on the front of the one that came in a few days ago it says:

ALERT: How the ACLU is using public schools to force children to accept homosexual behavior.

see how we're blocking their plans

:confused:

Oddly, when I first saw it as I was leafing through the mail, I thought "great, kids need to learn to accept homosexuality" because recently my kid has been bringing home some unpleasant homophobic stuff. His favorite of my friends is gay, so once I point that out all the epithets cease. However, I worry about where the language is coming from... But somehow these crazy people think that we need to perpetuate hate??

Still, I wonder why they are sending me this mail??

YT

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Why are they sending you that mail? That should be obvious.

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

No, it's not. It's not like they mail the whole city. There's nothing in my background that would suggest me as a likely sympathizer - quite the opposite. I'd like to know how I ended up in their addressbook. I've returned several of their letters already, but their crap still arrives every two weeks or so..

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It would seem to me that they're trying to reach as many people as possible.