Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
I do a lot of filming in clubs and in the past audio hasn't been a problem until now. I need to be able to pick up individual people's voices. What kind of microphone would you reccommend?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
More info please.

1. Does you recording device, be it video camera or external recorder support XLR type connectors?

2. Is it a one man gig with just you operating a camera, or will you have the option of someone operating a boom?

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
I can use anything that utilizes XLR and I will have additional crew.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
There's really no substitute for getting the mic as close to the person's mouth as possible, as that's the only way to capture their voices separately from the surroundings.

A $20 mic at close range will sound better than a $1000 mic twice as far away.

If your recording options are limited, go with cardiod mics placed as close to the talent as possible. Shotgun mics are not recommended for indoors because they tend to adversely colour the timbre of the sound.

Hope that helps. In your case, booming is preferable, or perhaps omni lapel mics attached to wireless receivers or portable minidisc might be the best solution. :)

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I would recommend this location package that DVcreators.net has put together:

http://www.dvcreators.net/dvcreator-location-sound-package-1/

I use the microphone and it is a very good shotgun mic, and coupled with the shock mount, zepplin and wind screen it works great. I have not used it in loud environments like a nightclub, mostly used for outdoor location shoots, but it should work fine for you if you have a boom operator that can keep the mic close to the subject. The shock mount can be mounted on your cameras hot shoe too, so there is not need for a boom operator at all times.

If you don't care if the mic is in the shot, like having an interviewer, or the subject themselves holding a handheld, then I would use this mic:

http://dvcreators.net/rode-nt3-condensor-mic

You don't have to buy from DVcreators, they just have a nice page with all the items that you I suggest you buy, you might be able to get all of items from B&H for less, maybe not though.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Are the individuals in question actors?
Then put wireless lavaliers on each of them.

That would be ideal of course, but I get the picture that it is more of a location shoot where one goes around and get candid interviews, with little or no time to actually mic the person.

I just made some suggestions of equipment I use, but really with the lack of information about the environment and control, it is hard to make an absolute suggestion.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
No time to mic people just walk up point shoot and get them talking for a few seconds.
In loud environments I've seen sound guys using a rubber thing around their boom, whats that called?

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Not a shock mount.

I'm talking about a rubber shell completely around the entire boom instead of a windscreen.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Not a shock mount.

I'm talking about a rubber shell completely around the entire boom instead of a windscreen.

Around the entire boom pole, or just the mic? If it's just the mic, then it is a Zepplin, if it is the entire pole then I have no idea what it is.

MetalFace

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
a good tip for bars and club shoots is to hide clip on mics on the charecters as long as they are not doing really violent movements otherwise clothes ruslting will no doubt be picked up for thier voices and record background with a shotgun. this mix in editing will also allow you to lower background noise or turn it up without losing the main chit chat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.