Mic. Messener 'Logs Out' ALL the time!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kardashian, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey!

The problem I'm having is that Microsoft Messenger (latest version) will either log me out, every 5 minutes, or (this is weird) it will log me out, but not actually tell me - my status is still set to online etc, and I can still see my contacts, but I start convos and no one receives my messages, and I click to change me status, but it stays the same.

After a few minutes it says ''Your connection to the service'' (or something similar) has ''been lost''.

It used to do this ALL the time on prev. Macs, then when I got my iMac a few months ago, it stopped doing it. Maybe theres a pref. file I can delete, but the ones I found, I have trashed and make no difference - they just remove sign-in details and pictures.

I do NOT want to use Adium, or something similar.

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Why don't you use Adium?

I'm kidding. :p

Seriously, this is MSN for you. I struggle with this every day I'm affraid and I don't think there is a lot you can do about it. I frequently go through phases of being "online" ok for hours at a time and then some evenings I can't get through a "hello" before I go offline. Suffice to say friends get annoyed at it.

Still, I know you don't want this information but there are better programs out there; You may have to try them.

sorry...:(

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Whats weird though, is for 4 months, its been fine.

I have reset my router, deleted all pref. files, deleted my messenger account, restarted umpteen times.

It just seems to have come up all of a sudden. :confused:

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i had the same problem, as does my cousins, sister, and any friends who use MSN for Mac. Ive had the problem since 3.5, and it still isnt fixed.

Why do you not want to use Adium? I find its a great program which betters MSN Messenger in every regard. Its still beta software, yet i find its more stable than MSN 5 for Mac.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

1. Hate the UI. - even with the themes it just doesn't look 'right'
    2. File Tranfers are beyond slow.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Personally, I don't like Adium at all. I think aMSN is so much better, although last I checked, the universal version isn't perfect yet.

7. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I have this exact problem; MSN boots me out at random intervals AND I don't like the Adium UI. I can only hope that one day MS might remedy this problem.

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Just checked aMSN out - even uglier than Adium (to me).

Sorry, but thanks for the suggestion.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Don't know if this helps or not, but the new Yahoo messenger also does the same thing; probably because it's still in beta. Adium is stable though. You do know you can customize the layout, right?

10. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I like the way you can customise the Contact List, thats brilliant.

But I hate the way the conversation windows look. I understand you can change the background, but thats it.

You still have the ugly beige/grey/white (can't remember) window, with either the horrible, plain menu bar showing, or hidden. Its just, yuck!

If it could be totally skinned, then I would use it. But its horrible looking, and the conversation window themes (I have seen) are vile. :(

11. geodome macrumors member

geodome

None of the msn clients (clones too) supports video conferencing.

The only exception is Mercury, but it is unstable, slow to response, and the vide o transmission is terrible. I appear all blue (literally) on it.

12. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Sorry, I don't follow. I never asked about video?

And, aMSN supports Video.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No, you can customize pretty much all of it. Adium's web site has an extras section that has many different variations relating to the contact list, the message window, dock icons, et al.

14. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Yes I know, like I just said. I like the fact you can change contact-list styles etc, but as for the message window, you can only customise its background, and the 'bubbles' in which the text is delivered.

As far as I know, you can't change the ugly window style. ie: Box at the bottom of the window (where you type), horrible icons, and menu bar.

Thanks, though.

15. JosiahPB macrumors regular

This happenss to me too, and I'm really just getting tt-o'd about it.

16. mcmillan macrumors 6502

It used to happened to me. In my case it was my wireless base, I had to update the driver for it to start working fine.

17. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Reinstall it?
    Restart the computer?

That's really all I know to do. :p

Good luck though!

18. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

It's the MSN networks problem, not the actual application. You will have the same problems on Adium, MSN Messenger, Proteus, etc..

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

ive never had this problem on Adium, or the windows version of Messnger...

20. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

just live with it...if you don't wanna use Adium, Proteus, aMSN, Mercury whatsoever then just live with Mic Messenger. that's it no solution for u...

21. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Well then you're lucky. There is a reason why they have this website;
    Link. I know from experience that there have been hour long 'MSN blackouts' in my area from time to time, and I've heard a lot about the same happening in Europe.

It doesn't matter what IM program you use, since the root problem is the network. Your only solution is to switch to a different IM program. They all really suck equally :p