Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I'm looking to expand my mic cabinet(which contains one sm57 lol) and I want to get a condenser mic in the $100-250 price range. Here are the things I'll be recording in order from most recorded to least-
1. Acoustic guitar
2. Harmonica
3. Trombone
4. Vocals
5. Ukulele
6. Bongos

So obviously it needs to be a pretty general purpose mic. I'd rather have all the things I'm recording sound mediocre or "uniique" rahter than one or two things sound great and the rest sound like ****. Not recording to release demos and stuff, just for hobby. So what condenser mics would be good for me? Maybe a NT1A or a B1/B3? What are the ups and downs of certain mics I might want to get? Thanks!

Edit: Just remembered that x-mas is coming up in a couple months, and this mic I'm getting now would be my b-day present, so if you wanna recommend 2 different mics that would work well with the different stuff I'm recording that would be cool too(Or would it be better to invest in a stereo pair?)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
if your budget goes to $500, i would say either a Shure KSM32 or a matched pair of Avenson Audio STO2.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
I just got the MXL 4000, which comes with the 603S, for $200:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...tiPattern-FET-Studio-Condenser-Mic?sku=270624

It's really a good combo -- the 603S sounds great on acoustic guitar, the 4000 is great on vocals, or for acoustic instruments where you want more low end. I especially like all the options on the 4000: omni/cardioid/figure 8, 10dB pad, low frequency roll-off. I haven't tried it yet, but the pair is supposed to be good for mid-side micing (using the 603S for the mid channel and the 4000 in figure 8 to get the sides/room).

I had the MXL 990/991 combo before, which I was reasonably happy with (and is half the price), so that's another option if you want to save some cash.

Also, IMHO, I'd say there's not use in spending more than $200-300 on a microphone, unless you're ready to invest a lot more: there's great quality above that price range, but it takes a high-quality pre-amp to really take advantage of it (and that will probably run you at least $500).

ps - i like your combination of instruments! You got a myspace page or something?

Mattaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Thanks for the replies! Throughout all the forums I posted on I got a lot of mics to compare and research. Ended up going with the KSM32 because it seems like the one of the best multi-purpose mics out there, has a pretty flat frequency response so I can record anything and get a realistic sound then pretty it up a bit with a little eq. All the reviews on different sites rated it very highly and I don't think I saw one bad review. Managed to get one on ebay for $225 from a well-rated audio gear seller, said it was "gently used' and I am able to get a refund if it doesn't work properly.

Thanks zimv20 for the suggestion!

Salientstimulus, I don't have a myspace right now, but I'll definitely post a link once I have a good amount of songs how I want them.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Great price on the ksm32. I've found that it does well even with mediocre mic pre's. Not always the best choice when I'm choosing a mic for a given application, but never ever a bad one!

Mattaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Great price on the ksm32. I've found that it does well even with mediocre mic pre's. Not always the best choice when I'm choosing a mic for a given application, but never ever a bad one!

Good to hear that since I'm using a mbox 2(not sure if that even qualifies as mediocre on your scale). I think my sm57 and the ksm32 will be a great combo, don't think there's a better 2 first mics I could've chosen on a budget as far as versatility goes. Thank you Shure! lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.