MIC TIPS for improving vocals in Garage Band?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alaimo, Jan 14, 2006.

1. alaimo macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie to Garage Band and lovin' it. Here's my problem... I added some vocals using a cheap pencil mic (don't we all have one that came with a cassette recorder?). The actual voice quality was OK but there's some nasty ambient noise that I couldn't control... a faint hum. I tried wrapping a foam bed pad around myself trying to muffle it. Ultimately, I used the equalizer in G. Band to lessen the interference which helped a bit.

Any suggestions on what to do? I did read a forum on the best mic for Garage Band (originally posted here last year). But it was very brand specific and I don't really have money for a $100+ mic, a sound dampening stand, a pre-amp, blah, blah, blah. Maybe it's just the flimsy cord on the mic creating feedback?

Thanks in advance....

2. alaimo thread starter macrumors newbie

posting a reply to my own question...

Sorry --- I'm new to this forum and didn't use the 'search forum' function on this before posting. What's different about my problem is that the actual sound from the cheapie mic is adequate for my homemade 'songs'... the range is decent and there's plenty of volume (it's not surpressed as with someone in a previous forum), and it's not the computer's fan I'm hearing. I think I may just need a beefier more shielded cable for the mic.

Still open to your feedback!!

3. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Well unfortunately with microphones the amount of money spent is directly correlated to the quality of the results!

Is the hum medium to high pitched, or low pitched? It is def. not feedback.

The main things you could do with your setup is this:

Get the mic as far away from the computer as possible, as any electric current can cause hum on recordings. Even if you have to use an extension cable for the mic, it is worth it.

Speak or sing through a pair of pantyhose stretched over an wire coat hanger in the shape of a circle. This will help you to avoid plosives (the hard "P" sounds that you sometimes hear when using a microphone).

Other than that, your other options include buying new gear...Using the EQ in GB might help to hide the problem, but you are also probably destroying a desirable part of what you recorded as well.

Good luck

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Depending on how loud the hum is, you might be able to get some of it out of at least any quiet passages by using the gate slider control in Garageband. Further to the right is more, and further to the left is less. You might be be able to find a happy medium to get rid of some of the noise.