Michael J. Fox, meet Kurt Warner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the stem cell debate...

Adelphia.net

No wonder he was a box boy in a grocery store for all those years.... :rolleyes:

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ugh, I saw that commercial last night during the world series. It had Jeff Suppan (who's lackluster pitching last night, plus the commercial, made me lose any respect I had for him), Kurt Warner and Ray's wife on Everybody Loves Raymond...I forgot her real name. I was sick to my stomach really, all they did was lie about the stem cell amendment. The amendment MO voters are voting on would allow stem cell research, but ban human cloning. Read the text of the amendment and it's clear as day. All the commercial said was how allowing it to pass would allow human cloning and be immoral blah blah blah. Then the ad was followed by another ad for Jim (no)Talent saying how his decision to not allow stem cell research is a personal belief based on his faith and thats why we should vote for him.

After seeing the Michael J Fox ad, I don't really know how anyone could still be against it. Just watching what the poor guy is going through would be enough for anyone with half a heart to support stem cell research. And I bet if Suppan, Warner or Ray's wife ever came down with Parkinsons or another disease, their views on stem cell research would change pretty quickly.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

while i'm a proponent of stem cell research, and generally agree, i don't think it's safe to assume that people who are against it are totally heartless. the problem is just that it's not as simple as:

if we allow stem cell research, then people with ______ disease will be cured.

or

if we don't allow stem cell research, then people with ______ disease will not be cured

that said, the science obviously shows promise, and we need to let it be pursued and put money to it, rather than starting wars, etc.

oh, and it's good to get the facts on the bill in missouri, too much misinformation out there obviously

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

his faith is a joke, otherwise, he would donate all his money for the poor, not keep people suffering.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As it did with Nancy Reagan. You might even say a conservative on stem cell research is somebody who hasn't had Parkinson's in their family yet.

6. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

kurt warner purposefully went off his medication to look crazier for this ad.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Or so it seems if you don't read further than the first paragraph. Certainly the first page makes a strong declarative statement against cloning, but if you look further, ( paragraph 6.2 I believe) , it is only the last step of cloning a fully functioning human that is prohibited. You can clone all the embryo's you want, and kill them, as long as you don't try to implant any cloned embryo into a uterus. As pro-lifers believe that life begins at conception, and that these embryo's represent lives, their opposition to this amendment is completely logical.

It should also be noted that while the first page strongly states that no one is to be compensated for an embryo, the definition allows for them to recover "harvesting and transplantation" costs. Can you say state funded abortion?

After reading this, I came to the conclusion that this bill is NOT what it is represented to be.

I have a heart, a whole one. And it goes out to Mr Fox, and all who suffer like him. But it also goes out to all of those who were never given a chance.

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Can stem cell research lead to nerve repair? If so, I'm all for it. :cool: