Michael Moore charged with bribing people to vote...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MOFS, Oct 6, 2004.

1. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Well...not charged. Sorry if this has been put on already.

Noodles for votes

Seems a bit strange for a political party to not want people to vote - its not as if he's telling the voters which party to vote for. Maybe the Republicans are scared about who the people would vote for?! ;)

Brit boy

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

wasnt there a company a few months back who offered free itunes downloads in exchange for a promise for people to vote? was it ben and jerry's? i cant entirely remember. but, hey, who in there right minds would take ben and jerry's to court? they make ice cream! everyone loves them!

3. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's B&J, I got a free song by saying I'll vote.

4. VincentVega macrumors regular

Noodles and underwear? Is that all they've got? Unless it's gold-plated underwear and noodles with caviar, who cares?

(Of course, erasing thousands of people from electoral rolls - as in Florida - is just fine...)

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

A 21st Century version of McCarthyism is slowly being born. We are losing our rights to fight the war on terror.......but the war on terror is being used to fight a war in Iraq......which is being used to help gain control of oil. It is a sad world when the leader of the free world has a leader that can do whatever he wants b/c of his name and his ties. Look what Bush has done in his first 4 years.....it's scary to think what he may do in the next 4 when he does NOT have to worry about re-election in '08.

6. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I agree, and I think it's pretty damn scary. I'm not a big fan of Michael Moore, I haven't read any of his books or seen his movies, but is he really doing anything wrong? At least he's trying to get people to participate in something that is as important as voting. Looking at previous voter turnouts, it's incredible the amount of people that don't vote. Who cares how "extreme" or biased Michael Moore is? I don't think he's our biggest problem.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All I know is that I don't want an ambulance chaser for a vice president and that is all that Edwards is. Hey the people in his home state don't like the guy. We could do a lot better than him.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That said, this is a political thread and should be moved to the political forum.

9. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

To put it as simply as possible:

Ambulance chaser > Failed businessman, religious zealot, moral hypocrite, warmongerer, crony capitalist, criminally irresponsible commander in chief

Edit:
    If it wasn't a political thread before, it is now. :D

10. apple2991 macrumors 6502

I hope you realize how stupid that sounds.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Oh, but noodles and undies are what ALL the cool kids are doing for graft these days. Because, y'know, potato crisps are surely on the same level as no-bid reconstruction contracts for major corporations. :rolleyes:

Seriously. As long as Moore's not specifically endorsing any one party or candidate, you'd think that getting people to vote would be viewed as a good thing in a democracy. Sure, you could try to argue that Farenheit 9/11 makes Moore's mere presence equivalent to an endorsement for Kerry (or at least against Bush) but that's stretching a little far.

If Moore is charged with ANYTHING over this, I wanna see Ben and Jerry's go down with him. One free song doesn't buy MY loyalty...hmmm. Not much of a bribe, then, is it?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think you can safely say that Moore is backing Kerry. Just like Benifer, I hate Hollywood telling me who to vote for, go back to making crappie movies that no-one will watch.

13. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

The truth is the more people who vote the more the Rebicans get hurt in electlons. If every registered person voted it Demicrated would massicly control ever part of the goverment. well over the 60 votes need to stop a filbuster before it could start

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

What was so stupid about saying that? I was just stating that the only information I know about him is not based off any of his work.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Erm... did you happen see the box office results?

17. acdninjapan macrumors newbie

acdninjapan

WHO SAYS YOU HAVE TO LIKE THE GUY!!

All that matters is that he will do the job, do it well and not make an a** of himself.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It is illegal to influence a vote with a bribe, it is not illegal to use a promotion to encourage someone to register to vote. He can give you anything he wants. You can vote Rebublican if you want. If he will only give you a "prize" provided you vote for a Democrat, that is wrong no matter what your political leaning.

Remember the guy who got arrested for selling his vote on eBay?

19. MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

Sorry man!

Didn't see ya thread there! Wanna put your quote on in a different post on this board? That one post would count as two - BOGOF for your race for an avatar!

Anyway, as far as I can see (as has been pointed out before), the only reason the Michigan Republicans want him arrested is because of his anti-Bush stance. To be honest though, I think Moore sees Kerry as the lesser of two evils - in "Stupid White Men" he said that he voted for Nader (Green)

You Yanks need a proper three party system!:D

San Miguel

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Moore's done it again. He has to be delighted with this controversy because despite what he says, he loves to stir up hornet's nests. He's managed to demonstrate that the Republican Party in his home state completely lacks a sense of humor and proportion, and don't recognize satire when they see it. I really appreciate Michael Moore the satirist -- he's got a unequalled ability to show people behaving like themselves. The fact that "like themselves" is often dopey is the entire point of satire.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Eveytime I see him, he is more than happy with the fact that he rattles cages. I think that's his whole reason for being. One of the things I like about him is that he is honest about his personality.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pretty much, I suppose. I never entirely believed his protestations over the massive publicity surrounding his fight with Disney.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He later thanked them for helping to promote his movie. Them, and the Republicans. :eek: I guess that's the part I caught. He seemed pretty happy so many people hated his movie. Especially those who never even watched it. :p

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, but I'm thinking of the period before the movie was released, and the long saga with Disney over distribution. Moore claimed that he didn't think all of the publicity would necessarily translate into ticket sales. That seemed to me to be too cute by half. It was clear to me that he was milking the controversy for all it was worth, which is one of the things he does with such great skill. I don't still understand why he denied it. Contractual entanglements with Disney, perhaps?